Google Earth Syria....

I've just been looking at Google Earth Maps of Syria and I have two terrain questions.

The first concerns season.

Looking at the montague of pictures that make up the maps it is clear that some vary from a bright red to vivid greens.

Some of this is no doubt due to terrain, but others where there is a marked difference between two individual photos show that depending on the season the surface vegitation can be markedly different.

I think there has been discussions of things like olive groves etc, and early on I had raised the issue of the fact that a lot of open waste ground in mediterrainian countries has dense 2mtr high vegitation, but looking at the CM:SF screen shoots so far I see no indication yet of anything particularly rugged or dense, or indeed allowance for the time of year.

The second point is an odd one.

Approximately 60 mile South East of Damascus, there looks to be a random palch of dark green terrain about 20 miles across which looks to me bizarrely like an enourmous forest.

Anybody got any ideas what it might be.

Way in the north east, the euphrates valley looks like it's pretty dense foliage as well.

Peter.

[ March 20, 2007, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Peter Cairns ]

Approximately 60 mile South East of Damascus, there looks to be a random palch of dark green terrain about 20 miles across which looks to me bizarrely like an enourmous forest.
Actually, it seems to me like a large agricultural area, since you can see the land parcels. Naturally vegetated zones are present, too. The interesting thing is that it seems also a volcanic area, with small cones.

Nicdain

Are we looking at the same one, as there are actually two, the dark one I was refering too is probably more ESE, where as the one with the reddish cones is more SSE.

Where the roughly circular one meets a very light patch alone it's SE edge it looks very much like forest, although the resolution isn't great.

Peter,

Nicdain,

Your right about it being a volcano, if you click "Geographical Feature"s in the lower left "Layers' box then there are at least four volcanos that come up, two unnamed and one each at Jabal ad Druze and Es Safa.

It looks like it's an enormous lava field.

Jabal ad Druze

Do you think we should start a campaign to have red hot lava flows included in the game.

Peter.

Thanks Peter for sharing this info. Very interesting.

For what I can see, the Jabal ad Duruz is not so low as I thought: 1800 m asl. The photo with the snow is quite odd to be seen in a Middle East region (though I heard about snow in Israel sometimes).

Are we going to see winter camo for uniforms and vehicles in CM:SF?? :eek: :D

Just been Looking a Damascus.

I hadn't actually thought about it before but Syrianot only has a railroad system, but in the capital a fair bit of it seems to be underground.

I bet you could hide quite alot in there.

I like the tearrain so far that i've seen from the screen shots, but a lot of the older urban areas in syria seem to be ectremely irregular, with streets at angles with odd shaped houses far more common than a US style grid with square blocks.

It might well be difficult to get that "Battle for Algers" Feel.

Peter.