Routing does exist! I saw it finally! (Classified UAV photos included)

I think there's a real issue here with this implementation of routing. If you're concerned about having too much to control, have the men incapable of rallying. Having them simply disappear is a get out of jail free card if they're only listed as missing for scoring purposes.

I presume the reason for not doing that is the extra computation required.

But, of course, for the defender that robs them of the chance to rally his forces for a makeshift defence.

Hasn't rallying been part of the wargames basics since the dawn of time (dice&counters). It has happened in real life zillions of time too. Someone makes the running men to stop and recover their senses and they make up a new defense line against the advancing enemy.

Very strange if it is not in. But after some ten games have not seen anyone abandoning their posts.

[ August 04, 2007, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: track ]

Well remember the battles are on a limited scale. The time frame is usually about an hour. It does seem very improbable that someone who just soiled his shorts redface.gif and said "screw the rest of you guys" I want my mommy, :eek: is going to just “wait I think I’ll just take a quiet moment while you guys stay here and die”. :cool: “No really guys, I’ll be right back, just gimme a minute” :rolleyes:

He may rally but just not during this battle.

Just some food for thought.

I'd either have them rout off the map, finding their own path, or have them rout until rallied, or until they rally themselves, then attempt to rejoin their squad, again choosing their own path.

If the current behaviour is down to computation cycles, well, that puts a different spin on it.

Originally posted by Sirocco:

Rallying units added a certain subtlety to the defence, IMHO. And some uncertainty for the attacker in the sense that lines could be reformed, even if it was in an ad hoc and temporary fashion.

Well said. As it stands now each position is defended to the death. Feels more like fighting WWII Japanese dug-in caves, than a fluid tactical battlefield. Maybe there's more going on behind the scenes (like vanishing guys) that make this not true, but it sure feels that way.

whats more realistic !?

people runing away or vanishing into thin air.

Troops can see throught walls, get run over by tanks without injury, and now they can vanishings in thin air, I'm just suprised they can't fly! Maybe that will be in the next patch! :rolleyes:

I miss troops surendering like they did in CM1 games. I think, if troops are going to run away they should exit the map.

Originally posted by track:

At least considering Syrian poor quality troops routing would be a major problem for officers to overcome once U.S. troops open up with all they got.

Against Israel, Syrian forces haven't often routed tactically.

Which is to suggest that the behaviour might be as modeled instead of a problem. But that is up to BFC to clarify I suppose.

[ August 04, 2007, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: bartleby ]

in one of todays battles i played, i tried out something...if the enemy is many and the space is small, further you manage to bring much firepower into this small space, you can manage to make a big bunch of enemys "vanish" in 2-4 turns(without HE granades&co. i mean...)

i find it somehow "compftable" now.

but sure its crap when you on the receiving end :D

EDIT:

was a red VS red QB battle, on the rough map with trenches and this long wall. light inf vs light inf.

[ August 04, 2007, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

Would still be nice to see troops to leg it if it gets too tough or to perform a fighting withdrawal.

It could also be possible that they make a bad decision and run into line of fire.

Perhaps it is due to pathfinding issues that they removed detailed routing from the game? It would also add more computations in the game.

In earlier Combat Missions it was very well done. Never gived a thought that there was something wrong the way the units behaved.

[ August 05, 2007, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: track ]

• 2 months later...

It would be nice to take prisoners again, that was one of my favorite things to do in CM1. A even better idea would be all prisoners taken to have a guard. You would then have to detach a team or some element to "watch" them or they would disappear and all points gain from prisoners lost. Now this is a good idea if I do say so myself....lol.