DDRAW.DLL missing? Eh?

Mikhael

Help me! Combat Mission finally arrived today but it get the message 'A required file DDRAW.DLL cannot be found."

Now, that looks like a DirectX file to me, and I do have a copy of it on my system, I moved it into the Combat Mission directory and instead of getting a message it would just lock up whenever I tried to start it. I installed DirectX 8 just last night, but never got a chance to play anything on it, so I assumed that was the problem and reinstalled it... no difference. So, I decided to revert back to DirectX7, but it won't let me!

What do I do? I desperately want to play but CANT!

Your problem is, as you stated, a DirectX problem. the DDRAW.DLL should remain in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder, otherwise DirectX will not work.

What video card do you have ? Do you know if the manufacturer has drivers updated for DirectX 8 (usually only the high-end 3D cards will have drivers that have been updated specifically for DirectX 8) ?

Uninstalling DirectX 8 is going to be a huge hassle. I don't know if it will really work or not. What OS are you currently running ? If you're set on removing DirectX 8 you can try the following uninstaller.

Reactorcritical DirectX Uninstaller (listed in green text in the New Files listing "DirectX Uninstaller 0.13"):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/

You may have to delete/uninstall your video drivers and reinstall them to see if this helps. After doing that, then reinstall DirectX 8.0.