Driver installation - how to stop AV progs

foamy

I want to try the latest driver for my GeForce4 Ti 4200 and as usual I need to disable my Anti-virus program, sounds simple enough , BUT ...

No matter how many buttons I go through on the Norton AV options I can't get the the darn thing to stop. (by checking processes running I see many refs to Norton AV still churning away).

I have Windows 2000k and Norton 2004.

Searched the Norton site - could not find anything usefull, so I return the the most helpfull site in cyber-space - Battle Front.com Tech forum.

Any suggestions please ??

Most of the time just right-clicking on the System Tray icon and disabling "File System Realtime Protection" (or whatever Norton 2004 calls it) should be enough. The file/services for Norton will remain loaded up (and some of them you can't kill since they're started by the 'system' and not the 'user').

Basically with the 'realtime protection' turned off, the antivirus should interfere less with an install since it is this 'realtime protection' that is checking all sorts of system activity to determine what might be viral-like behavior. Even with the service turned off, there's s slight possibility of a problem just because the antivirus is sitting in memory - that however should be a fairly rare case.

Thanks Schrullenhaft, I followed your advice and everything went just fine with the driver installation.

I now have version 5.3.0.3 drivers installed for my GeForce4 Ti 4200 and so far not the slightest sign of improvement noticed..

Any level of AA screws up the text display as usual, and Anisotropic filter needs to be at 8X to get any decent display, but less then perfect performance (Jerky when smoke is present), playable but annoying..

Are there any indications that a manufacturer will come up with a good Vid card / driver combo that will give trouble free performance with the Combat Mission series of games??