Victory conditions, cease fire, and exploits

Originally posted by Field Marshal Blücher:

I actually once did have a use for a cease-fire just as you describe against the AI. I had been driving into a city, taken all of my objectives, but there was still some enemy resistance left. However, they weren't bothering my troops holding the objectives, so I just ceased fire. It was actually, I felt, a pretty realistic thing to happen--the attacking side seized its immediate objectives, but got worn down in the process, so they just held their positions and waited for reinforcements while the bloodied defenders held out in their last positions.

-FMB

When playing against the AI...something I do for both testing and pleasure... I use the Ceasefire a large % of the time...I like that it's there, think it has a somewhat gamey Campaign problem and is, of course, an absolutely essential tool in H2H. But if we do not exam these functions from a gamer's view they cannot be improved. Scipios comments have lead to a good discussion on the merits and needs of the Ceasefire function. Normal Dude: Thanks for starting this thread...great food for thought.