Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TCP/IP Impressions

DzrtFox

Well I was finally able to get some TCP/IP action in tonight for the first time in CM:SF. I played 5 games -- 3 on Al Huqf, and 2 on separate tiny QB maps downloaded from cmmods.

The game ran very smoothly for both of us, which is a surprise considering we are both on crappy wireless connections and live on complete opposite ends of the country.

It was actually really exciting playing real-time against a human. I'm sure it would get pretty difficult controlling larger armies, but on the smaller maps we played real-time wasn't a problem.

Only one serious problem I noted, in the fourth game we played I was using the Syrians and mounted up my troops in the setup phase. I ordered the vehicles they were in to move forward, but as soon as the game started the mounted troops dismounted and I was unable to move them for the rest of the game. Any movement orders I issued would be displayed from the vehicle they were originally mounted in.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to check the Tech Support forum after this also.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the game online!!

Tiny scenarios are mostly playable apart from these known bugs you mention. Sadly, once the scale gets larger sync problems kick in. There are many people reporting lag issues regardless of connection quality. Non responding units for minutes is the most annoying. I would accept some erratic unit movement, or slight delays but getting no response from your units is weird. I love the current state of 1.07 but since I can't fully enjoy multiplayer CMSF is still a half game for me. A DSL connection should be enough for just a 2 player clash.

Hi,

I always play RT against AI…. but it has to be “pause-able RT”.

Other than in the tiniest of games pure, un-pauseable RT is too much. I need a breather in the medium or bigger games. The mixture of RT with the ability to pause is perfect. In Human v Human live games I would like to see us allowed to set the clock to pause very two minutes or so and then when both players have hit Esc off the game goes again.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.