That K Key

I found the first CM hard to learn. So it will probably be a while before I can know what I really think of this one. However, I have learned one thing:

I have a very low opinion of the tabed order system. Modal interfaces often can be clunky, and this one is no exception. I meant to tell my gun striker to change facing...but I bailed out. Damn that K key. After wrestling this interface for the last few hours that was a real gut punch.

Has anybody else done this?

I will be back, but tonight I think I will be avoiding any more CM.

Originally posted by irslutz:

I found the first CM hard to learn. So it will probably be a while before I can know what I really think of this one. However, I have learned one thing:

I have a very low opinion of the tabed order system. Modal interfaces often can be clunky, and this one is no exception. I meant to tell my gun striker to change facing...but I bailed out. Damn that K key. After wrestling this interface for the last few hours that was a real gut punch.

Has anybody else done this?

I will be back, but tonight I think I will be avoiding any more CM.

I have the same problem with a couple of commands. While BFC and some others may have good reasons for tabbed order pages approach, using the exact same key for obviouly important commands is insane. Yes, I know we can change them (can we?), but commonn sense would say that a new tabbed system means people are going to quickly lose track of which tab they are on.

I wish there was a way to map the command keys to the key pad. It wouldn't solve the problem you talk about but it would make selecting the orders within a given tab a lot more intuitive (both a 3x3 matrix). Also having keys to directly select each tab rather than scrolling through them would be good (I had a look at the .txt file and didn't see something like that, but I could be wrong).

Originally posted by Fetchez la Vache:

I wish there was a way to map the command keys to the key pad. It wouldn't solve the problem you talk about but it would make selecting the orders within a given tab a lot more intuitive (both a 3x3 matrix). Also having keys to directly select each tab rather than scrolling through them would be good (I had a look at the .txt file and didn't see something like that, but I could be wrong).

actually the 3x3-buttons ARE already on the numpad - make sure the NunLock is on.

Don't mind the tabs too much myself. I find it easier to click on a unit, scroll down the map and look around and then finally decide what I want to do. Just personal preference, but I rely almost exclusively on mouse and so don't have the problem of hitting the 'k' key when I'm in the wrong tab.

I do miss not having the lines extend out before you pick where to move. Don't really know why. I also wish I could drag waypoints around like in the first game. Maybe there's a way. But the manual hasn't arrived in the mail yet, and I hate alt-tabbing.

Originally posted by Bruce70:

It might be better if, every time you select a new unit, you change back to the first tab.

You mean have the game do this for you automagically? Mmm, I disagree. Often I will do the same command to a series of units - unbutton, or targetting commands, acquire Javs, etc. I agree that bailing out when you intended to *insertorderhere* isn't optimal, but making the interface even more frustrating and click-intensive doesn't seem a great solution.