Penetration and CMx2

c3k

Gents,

I'm wondering if BF.C had addressed the issue of weapons' penetration abilities for CMx2. If so, I must've missed it.

I'm talking about the different characteristics of an SMG round going into a wooden building versus a full-powered rifle round.

That thin-walled shack which your squad is hiding in may stop incoming SMG rounds, but they'll get shredded by the LMG.

Thanks,

Ken

(Go ahead with all your "penetration" comments...)

At the very least you would need to take into consideration the bullet's sectional density, retained energy and bullet composition at the point of impact, as well as the hut wall construction, structural materials etc...

At a short range (say 50m) a 9mm SMG round is still carrying quite a lot of punch and I wouldn't want to be hiding in a Russian peasants shack if a unit armed with SMG's opened up on it.

At 150m - the 9mm is carrying way less energy and will lose some if not all of its remaining energy when hitting the wall. This is where your observation regarding the potency of the high powered rifle rounds versus a SMG round becomes very valid.

Another point is the sectional density of the 9mm round is quite low - around .160 - this limits the round's ability to use its energy to "punch through" wood, insulation and so on. Plus with a low SD, the round is more likely to disintegrate if it hits a hard surface (such as steel) for example.

A high powered rifle round has a much higher sectional density. (Typical Mil Spec 8mm Mauser SD=.274, 30-06 SD=.271, .303 SD=.265, 7.62x54R SD=.270 for example).

To make it simple, imagine a hammer hitting a board. The face of the hammer leaves a round mark as the energy is transferred to the board. Now imagine a pick of the same mass and velocity hitting the same board. The pick will penetrate the board. This is a simple way to understand the effect of sectional density on penetration.

To complicate things, I know that the 7.62x54R used a steel core in the round to help improve penetration performance. A soft point lead round, used by hunters has a much lower ability to penetrate than the military FMJ rounds. Of course not many hunters use lead soft point rounds, but hybrid bullets that precisely control the bullet expansion to maximise the chance of a quick kill - but that is another topic for another day...