Looking ahead v1.05 patch to-do list (-by Steve)

This is reposted here because it is buried in the Split Syrian Squad thread:

(As you read this please remeber Steve and the beta team have spent about 4 weeks perfecting v1.04 that comes out today, so please, PLEASE do not post to this thread until AFTER you have down loaded v1.04 and played it for a few days, because the issues mentioned here are what's left over after all the things that v1.04 fixed.)

Got it? ;)

OK, so the obvious question is what can we do? Well, this thread (ediit: the split Syrian Squad thread) (and a couple others) have pointed out some valid rough edges in the infantry behavior. Since we've never said that the game is perfect, we're perfectly willing to see what we can do to improve things. Therefore, allow me to tell you that version 1.05's primary focus will be on clearing up various infantry related issues. The ones I would like us to find solutions to first are as follows:

1. Corners of buildings that do not conform to the underlying grid. As we all know this can produce some negative effects when circumstances aren't exactly friendly around the corner. This will be difficult to fix completely, but improvements are possible.

2. Some sort of simulated "peeking". This is a lot harder than it might appear because LOS/LOF inherently must be a two way street. Meaning, for someone to see around a corner SOMEONE has to stick their head out far enough that someone can shoot it off. Anything short of that unbalances things in the opposite direction. Not to worry... we have an idea about what we can do

3. Better internal shifting of Soldiers to establish LOF (offensive) or get out of LOF (defensive) when engaged in a firefight. This is probably the easiest of all things to do, believe it or not, because it is fairly straight forward and is not likely to have negative side effects since the system is already there. It just isn't being used in the way it needs to on an individual Soldier by Soldier basis as often as it should be.

4. There is a very specific problem that can crop up when a unit is on the move and spread out between multiple Action Spots and not all of them have LOS to an enemy unit that starts shooting at the moving team. This can cause a fracturing of the moving team's firepower and (coupled with #3) cause a few guys to suffer the brunt of the enemy's wrath. This is not inherently unrealistic, but we do agree that the potential for this within the game is too great. Therefore we have an idea to help minimize this in a realistic way.

All of these things have already been looked into and a rough plan of attack developed. I can't promise what, exactly, the results will be until we've implemented them, however I think it is reasonable to think that there will be at least some improvements in all four of these areas.

Back to the Syrian Squad splitting request... allowing the RPG guy (with or without an assistant) to section off would allow "gamey" behavior. What I mean by that is the Syrian Squad structure is not 7 men + an AT Team, rather it is 9 men with an AT capacity. The doctrine calls for the RPG to be used to support the Squad, not to act independently of it. If we allowed people to section them off then they would (not could, would!) be used inappropriately to the extent of perhaps undermining the simulation aspect of CM (as well as the game aspect, in all likelihood).

What Red players have to get used to is that their infantry is, inherently, organized in a way that is inferior to US infantry in terms of maneuver and freedom of action. This doesn't mean they aren't a threat to US forces, it just means they are not as much of a threat as they could be in theory. Since we always aim for simulating things as they are and NOT as they might be, the Syrian Squads will not be altered in a way that we feel runs contrary to real life.

Steve

[ October 01, 2007, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

What's the status of resolving the problem Nvidia GeForce owners are suffering through with CMSF?

In the tech support section a couple weeks back Steve said that they had not really devoted much time / resources to digging into it and next they were going to make a big effort in that direction.

My recollection is Steve committed to getting to the bottom of what is truly causing the problem(s).

Steve,

On (3) will the shifting take in to account things like moral, fatigue and ammo, so that as well as people popping up to shot or ducking for cover they will share out firing and danger.

It's quite common when watching film of combat (although usually poorly trained troops), to see people effectively taking turns to pop out and fire rtaher than just the closest to the corner.

I can understand if this isn't a priority but it would be good.

Peter.