Need Help !!

fubart

I can't get sky textures. The files (#1400 -1442) are in my Bmp. file but no matter what time of day or weather-- just a flat gray- white sky (except night is flat dark gray). No clouds,sunset,stars,nada. Rain and snow come down fine. I've reinstalled, tried the demo (gold)-- same gray sky. I recently downloaded and overwrote jager's sky texture mods (from THQ) into Bmp., still no sky. Game runs and graphics well in every other respect. How could a system glitch be so specific/discreet. Ideas?

That sounds strange. I have no idea why two installations of CM would duplicate the problem. Have you ever seen the sky textures in CM ? If not then what video card do you have ? You may want to consider updating the drivers. What version of DirectX are you running ? Though I can't imagine exactly why you would be having a problem with the sky texture, it is possible that the video driver just isn't handling the graphics calls to display it correctly (it is stretched).

Your sky textures aren't modified or saved in a different format or anything of that nature are they ? One of my sky textures is approx. 769K in size (#1400).

If you haven't tried this already... delete your CM prefs file and reselect your resolution (to a possibly smaller one than you're currently running). Although if this suggestion were to work you would have probably seen a difference in running a new install of the Gold Demo.

Assuming you have a default installation the file should be located: C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO\Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs. Deleting this file forces you to go through the resolution selection process the next time you startup CM. A couple of other settings are also in there, but nothing that I would think would generate the problem you're seeing.

Once you've reselected the resolution another file is created.

Other than the Gold Demo do you have more than one copy of CM on your computer ? Is your 'shortcut' pointing to the correct installation on your hard drive ?

Schrullenhaft, thanks for hanging in with this. No, I have only the one copy of CM installed and have omitted the shortcut. My video card is Nvidia riva tnt 16mb with the original drivers. (I should update: are some driver sources better than others?) Despite 3 reinstalls, there is no "prefs" file in the C/Programs/CMBO folder. Bmp., PEM, WAV, Scenarios, etc.-- but no prefs. On every reinstall I am given a choice of just 2 screen res.

No sky is the only graphics problem I've found.

Damn...this may force me to become more computer literate-- and I do hear laughter out there!

Thanks.