Video card to replace Ti4600

Looking for an Nvidia card with performance comparable to the Ti4600. Memory is bad on this card (random colored blocks with 3D games). Doesn't need to be anything super powerful as it's for my old Window ME box that I use to play CM on.

Don't want an ATI card as I already have one on my Windows XP box and the FSAA in CM is pretty crappy compared to the Ti4600. Plus the other associated problems with CM and ATI cards.

Looking for something cheap that will get me by until CMX2 is out. $100 USD or less would be nice.

What should I get that is easy to find?

I would ebay the same thing. I got a 4400 or 4600 that cost $80 some months ago. The alternative is the 5200 which is much slower for many purposes.

If you want a few bucks for the broken one (I assume it works in 2D) then drop me a PM.

[ August 19, 2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

Thanks for the offer and suggestions, Redwolf.

I ordered a new Asus FX5700 (not the LE) from newegg.com this morning for a little under $150 USD. A bit more than I wanted to pay but the price/performance vs. the FX5600 made it worth it (only about $15 USD more than the FX5600).

I recently set up a new laptop with an NVidia FX 5200 Go (64Mb RAM).

Despite the laptop having a faster processor (2.8GHz HT versus 2.5GHz) my desktop with a Ti 4600 runs circles around 5200 rendering CMBO/CMBB/CMAK with FSAA 4X turned on.

* Of course, there are numerous potential factors like driver versions and DirectX versions.

** The 5200 is a DELL OEM version which has been downclocked (memory and GPU) to meet the requirements of heat generation and power consumption for the laptop package.

Actually, the 5200 does okay with FSAA turned off (and anistropy set to level 8). On a 15" XGA, the lack of FSAA is not too bad. Of course, lack of FSAA on a 21" CRT running at 1024x768 would be hard to miss. CMBO/CMBB/CMAK run with acceptable frame rates. Without FSAA, the FPS is mainly CPU limited in the larger scenarios (map size or unit count).

Here are the problems I had with FSAA (4X) turned on:

(1) Low frame rates.

(2) Stuttering video performance making vehicle motion looking very jerky.

(3) System lockups when jumping between CM and the desktop.

---

Now, I tried FSAA 2X which seemed to resolve all of the above. However, it introduced a new problem. When flipping to the desktop and back, the borders of the CM screen would pulse in a very irritating fashion. Short of exiting CM and relaunching, I could not find any way to stop that. I tried all types of driver options and I also tried v5 and v6 drivers too.

I anyone knows how to fix that, please advise as that would allow me to run with FSAA 2X on.

Thanks.