game wont load (windows xp, gf fx5200, 44.03 driver)

hello,

i recently upgraded my video card from gf3 to a gf fx card, with this i also reformated my pc and installed windows xp (i was using 98 before). after this changes i cant play cmbo or cmbb anymore due to imcompatibility.

whenever i try to run the game, it displays a black screen with lines in the middle. i found a way to fix this by running the game in compatibility mode (win98) however, the game will ask me for the cd even tho its in the drive.

i consulted the manual plus the included readme in the 1.03 patch and followed it (im not using antialising). the manual says that i should try using older drivers however, the new chip is not supported by those drivers. the 43.03 and the 43.35 only recognizes it. as for alt tabbing, it doesnt work.

my windows system is not upgraded to sp1 due to not being connected to the internet. (im on net shop atm)

any help on this problem is appreciated. if not i will be forced to dual boot win98.

i copied this from the troubleshooting page and i complied with it

Windows Issues:

Problem: Game seems to lock up or display a black screen immediately after game is loaded, you may hear the intro music or sound still. Video card is a Nvidia (GeForce GeForce 2,3 or 4 card) and you have newer drivers (41.09 or higher) installed for it.

Cause/Solution #1: The problem is with the video drivers. They have a problem properly initializing the screen graphics when Anti-Aliasing is enabled. Turn off Full Screen Anti-aliasing for your video card. This can be done via the video cards display properties panel.

Cause/Solution #2: Minimize CMBB by pressing Alt-Tab and then re-maximize it by clicking on its icon on the Taskbar. The display should properly refresh and everything should be visible again.

Cause/Solution #3: Since those drivers will not correctly work when Anti-Aliasing is enabled you maybe able to install older video drivers which will work fine and allow you to use Anti-Aliasing.

Problem: Game reports that CD needs to be inserted in order to load the game but CD is in the CD drive. I have Windows XP/2000.

Cause/Solution: Windows may have enabled "Compatibility Mode" for CMBB. This can occur if you upgrade to XP/2000 from an earlier OS of if you turned it on manually. To check this, please right click on the shortcut that points to CMBB. Select Properties and on the next page select the Compatibility tab. Now make sure none of the boxes are checked on that page. Click Apply or OK to close the window and then re-launch the game.

Can you take the card back? Hate to say it but at best your "upgrade" is more of a side-ways grade. The FX 5200 chip, especially the non-ultra version, is not a very fast chip. In fact it'll be slower than your GF3 in just about everything. And even in DX9 games it's still rather slow. A GF4 Ti4200 would be a better choice, IMO. And not that much more expensive (depending on your location). Some comparisons:

AnandTech

Tech Report

Tom's Hardware

- Chris

The 44.03's seemed to have worked for other people, including those who are running the 5000 series of GeForces. I'd highly suggest uninstalling all of your GeForce Detonator drivers - going to a 'VGA Save' driver and (after the requisite reboots) installing 44.03 or later.

The 'compatibility mode' is what is causing the problem with the CD check. For some reason this mode seems to report back different info from the CDROM drive than standard Win2K/XP mode, which is crucial to BTS/BFC's piracy check. I'm not sure why this mode helps your video (CM doesn't really need it - it only seems to be an issue with certain video drivers).

You may want to experiment with certain levels of FSAA (4XS ?) and see if they help. Generally FSAA is usually the most problematic feature of the NVidia drivers, but in your case it might fix your display problem (you will need to Alt-Tab to see white text properly or other 2D refresh issues).

Oh... and as the above poster noted, that GeForce isn't a very good performer... even compared to earlier GeForces.

[ June 18, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

You know, I had this EXACT same problem recently and it was frustrating as hell. Used 5 different versions of nvidia drivers, tried everything I could with compatibility mode to no avail. What I did to fix it was I noticed my monitor's driver was loaded as "default monitor" and I went to the manufactur website of my monitor and downloaded the XP drivers for my monitor. Once I loaded that, whammo, game works perfectly!!

Try your monitor drivers, it may help you too.