Running CM in Virtural PC...Dose it work?

Pzman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Let me get this right....You to run CM on Virtual PC on a Mac because you can't afford a PC?

Other than to see if it could be done why would you want to do that?

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I already have the Mac...fool. Its three years old. :rolleyes: Alos I want to use some of the P.C programs like the endgame randomiser ect.

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Yes. I already have the Mac...fool. Its three years old. Alos I want to use some of the P.C programs like the endgame randomiser ect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you really as retarded as you sound or is this just an act??? You ask if you can run CM in VPC, and then you say your Mac is too old to run CM as it is.

How in the hell do you expect it to run CM well in VPC then?

If all you want to do is run the simple supporting apps people made, then it's not a problem, but CM in VPC 4.0 is a miserable experience, even with a fast Mac.

But maybe Patton_Returns can use his Res Edit magic to make it work for you.

Gyrene

As Gyrene pointed out - Virtual PC is going to run at a very slow speed since it has to emulate Intel-compatible CPU registers in memory. Unless you have a very fast G4 with a lot of memory you may have more fun watching paint dry than attempting to run CM in a Virtual PC window.

I'm not familiar with the latest incarnations of Virtual PC, but if all you want to do is run some of the PC utilities, then it should work fine (since I don't think that they're dependent on too many OS features). So depending on how much memory you have, you may want to consider a memory upgrade before installing and running Virtual PC (especially when task switching with CM in the native Mac environment).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Are you really as retarded as you sound or is this just an act??? You ask if you can run CM in VPC, and then you say your Mac is too old to run CM as it is.

How in the hell do you expect it to run CM well in VPC then?

If all you want to do is run the simple supporting apps people made, then it's not a problem, but CM in VPC 4.0 is a miserable experience, even with a fast Mac.

But maybe Patton_Returns can use his Res Edit magic to make it work for you.

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOu don't get it do you...Its not to old...I have had CM for year...man you are a freak.

My G3 works just fine thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

As Gyrene pointed out - Virtual PC is going to run at a very slow speed since it has to emulate Intel-compatible CPU registers in memory. Unless you have a very fast G4 with a lot of memory you may have more fun watching paint dry than attempting to run CM in a Virtual PC window.

I'm not familiar with the latest incarnations of Virtual PC, but if all you want to do is run some of the PC utilities, then it should work fine (since I don't think that they're dependent on too many OS features). So depending on how much memory you have, you may want to consider a memory upgrade before installing and running Virtual PC (especially when task switching with CM in the native Mac environment).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your points. I have lots of RAM 193 and getting anther 100 or more so VP works good but it dosn't support USB or something so when playing CM the mouse dosn't work anyway.

Still sounds a bit chancy to me- stacking the game on top of the emulator, on top of the operating system, w/ a G3. -Good Luck

I'm in a same boat, I've got an upgraded G3 w/ a new video card. The game does run well as is but I'm not able to use a bunch of those mods.

PS Drop a note, on how it well it works.

PS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack Trap:

Still sounds a bit chancy to me- stacking the game on top of the emulator, on top of the operating system, w/ a G3. -Good Luck

I'm in a same boat, I've got an upgraded G3 w/ a new video card. The game does run well as is but I'm not able to use a bunch of those mods.

PS Drop a note, on how it well it works.

PS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is not an upgraded G3 its a PowerMac G3. Late model G3 at that. It...works and it dosen't at the same time. It dosn't use your graphics card or somefink...it only lets me use games with 2D graphics like Steel Panthers, which is an ok game anyway.

Yes using VPC 4.0 will be a lousy experience even if its got Win ME. For one I believe you'll be limited to use only 128MB of Ram when VPC is on and emulating the Windows OS.

I've got VPC 3.0 and I've played Close Combat series games on it ok but the graphics are much simpler than CM. VPC will not use your graphics card installed unless it also has the windows driver enabled. So you then a video card for VPC Windows and another for Mac OS use. To make it worse your visual experience in CM on VPC will be awful.

All best

Patrikck

LOL! Need I jump in here? I don't know...looks like Rob is trying to make a simple procedure impossible. He has a tendency to do that from time to time.

You know, it would be just as easy to buy a good PC as powerful if not more powerful than that G3 at a cheaper price and allow yourself to open up to the rest of the PC market.

But then again, if you're stuck with being Steve Job's buttmonkey, well then just continue to monkey around with your neon colored box and deal with it.