Target Acquisition and other stuff

Imperial Grunt

I guess this could be added to the wish list but I thought it might be something more as it is a major change.

For some reason none of the vehicles in DT have thermal sights and they cannot see through any kind of smoke. In my opinion, the sights should see through all smoke except for screening smoke, which I assume would have some kind of thermal blocking particles or burns hot, such as WP/RP. I think a black and white thermal view would be very helpful, or at least a thermal view when you are looking through smoke.

Additionally, to enhance the game aesthetics, should'nt the screen black out or go "snowy" when you get killed? Then the tacmap and a drop request should appear as normal. Cracks on the screen, flickering due to power fluctuations, etc...would also add alot of atmoshere. I personnally would love simulated tactical radio chatter (realistic tactical radio chatter, not the stuff the bots currently say) as well.

The tacmap would look more like a tactical display if it had unit symbology marking known and possible enemy positions, etc... Right now it only shows a immediate, current picture. It should show more. Enemy names should go away.

Here is a Boeing/US Army video promoting the FCS that was posted on the CM:SF forum by fytinghellfish. While the story is almost silly to point I laughed out loud on some scenes, the technology being shown is very applicable to DT and further enhancements of DT. I really like the tactical displays, unmanned vehicles, indirect fire systems, and intergration.

Unfortunately the movie makes the Army appear to be eager to get away from fighting the current war to back to the good old days of mechanized warfare.

The vehicles driving off of the ramps of the C-17s, all ready to go, is very DT'sh as well.

FCS video

For some reason none of the vehicles in DT have thermal sights and they cannot see through any kind of smoke.

I think it's quite possible all the units have great thermal camo. They might have some really fantastic internal heatsinks, for example. OTOH, it sounds like more fun if they don't.

Maybe, for example, the vehicles have just a few "hot spots" that show up on thermal. (The underside would be a favorite... though that might leave a trail. There could be a component that, if damaged, has the unit show more heat. If that component is destroyed the unit "lights up."

at least a thermal view when you are looking through smoke.

I wonder what's supposed to be burning in the vehicles. It might all be very hot smoke. OTOH, there's dust.

(I used the smoke launcher on a Thor for the first time last night. I'm very proud that I remembered it after only three ATGM strikes! Yay for me.)

The tacmap would look more like a tactical display if it had unit symbology marking known and possible enemy positions, etc... Right now it only shows a immediate, current picture. Enemy names should go away.

Timestamped? That'd be nice. It'd be good if the computer keeps track of the names, so that old traces of "Juda", for example, can be removed when Juda shows up again.