Voodoo II drivers

I am running 2 SLI connected Voodoo II's by Creative Labs. The drivers that I am running these with are the ones from Creative. Are there any other drivers that would work w/these cards or do I have to run the Creative Lab's ones?

I currently am getting very unpleasing smoke/explosion graphics, kinda blocky, etc.

Is this just the way the game looks or can it be improved?

Any help is appreciated.

3dfx usually recommends using the manufacturer's supplied drivers. The following link is for 3dfx's Voodoo2 1000 PCI card, which should work (I believe the SLI code should still be there, but I'm not sure):

3dfx Voodoo2 1000 (3.02.02 - 1/27/00):

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/voodoo2/voodoo2_win9x_new.stm

Creative Voodoo2 Drivers (3/19/99):

http://www.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?reg=0&OS=Win98∏=db_voo&se lect=Get+Files

Basically I don't think you can get high-quality smoke and transparencies with the Voodoo 1 & 2 series, but a user in this thread claims otherwise (but they get constant lockups):

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000339.html

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-28-2000).]

Actually, I do get good transparent buildings and everything else looks good except the smoke, plus the explosions are fairly weak.

I get really outstanding graphics when running my flight sims (Janes WWII fighters, Enemy Engaged) and even (should I say this here?) Unreal Tournament. I don't see why the graphics in this game should be any worse than those others, as they are much more system taxing.

Otherwise, outstanding game BTS!!!!!

I believe the Voodoo 2's don't support non "blocky" smoke. I saw that in another thread. Unfortunately it is the same for my Voodoo Banshee and the explosions don't look great there either. Guess we'll have to upgrade. Hoping the Kyro is all they say it is going to be...

Sigh. I've got a Voodoo2 1000 PCI and, in a vain attempt to get better quality smoke and such I did as suggested and downloaded DirectX 7.0a and the latest Voodoo2 1000 reference drivers.

Where before I was getting poor quality transperancies now I'm getting a system failure. A blue screen states a fault with VXD something or other. My other games work fine, just not Combat Mission. I tried removing it and reinstalling but to no avail.

Do I now have to uninstall my new drivers and go back to DirectX 6.1 or is there something else that can be done?

I should note that I also have an ATI Rage Pro card. When I first installed and played it went through the card selection routine but seemed to /ignore/ my choice of Glide even though it came up as the first option and went into the Direct3D options.

Now I can't even get that far.

I am exceedingly frustrated...thanks for any and all help.

I wiped out all my voodoo drivers and then started the game up. It recognised my Rage Pro card under D3D. I then reinstalled my voodoo drivers to run other better behaved titles. Happy ending and all is well.

Damn this is one cool game. Worth the modest hassle, that's for sure.