Throttle Design

Chris Jones

Being still only new to this sim and of late have had limited time to be able to get the most out of it. First thing i noticed is i'm struggling to get my head around the way the throttle has been implemented. Now as the manual states, by holding the throttle down for a few seconds, the vehicle gains max throttle. It also mentions that the vehicle shouldnt be constantly on full throttle. Now what i find very annoying is that once you release the forward key the power|speed starts to die off and then when you again hit the forward key, im expecting it to either keep the power|speed maintained or to again increase power|speed of the vehicle (thats the defintion of throttling i thought), but what it actually does is kill all power|speed that you had and starts you from nil power. So now you have to biuld it up again. Now correct me if im wrong but i believe that the constant stopping(from full or mid power to zero) and starting agian would be more damaging then having the throttle to full constantly. Just seems a little silly to me.

Also is there a keyboard control list that came with the sim or has someone created one yet?

Cheers

Chris

This is again a problem of mapping what is really an analog system (the vehicle's throttle) to a digital control (a keyboard key). Using a real throttle on a joystick or other device would be better (and you can do that on the controls tab) but for those of us using keyboard we have to make some trade-offs. The behavior you're describing is mostly a problem in tracked vehicles. That's because they decelerate suddenly when at zero throttle. Wheeled vehicles, by contrast, continue to roll nicely even when you let go of the throttle, so "stroking" the forward key works much better with them.

A good solution to this problem might be a few throttle keys, such as the number keys across the top of the keyboard, so you can set to 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. throttle and peg it there. This might make the gunner's view pretty dangerous though!

Yes i can understand what your saying. Its just frustrating that the tracked vehicle is at full throttle forward and you take your finger of the key for a spilt second a depress again straight away, then all of a sudden the vehicle jurks to a studden holt and slowly starts creeping forward again. Not to worry ill just setup up my x52 trottle to suit.

Now if im talking about the same gunners view as you, i do have another query regarding the situation awareness indicator (bottem RHS) that keeps track of your turret in relation of your hull. Thats in the zoomed view if i remember. Sorry if im totally off track here. Anywho, am i right to assume that the hull is facing its current bearing and that 000 is at the top of the indicator? I might be just me again but im finding it very difficult follow and dertermine wether the turret is aligned with the hull, more so when moving. I would prefer to see the hull sit stationary (facing 000) and the indicators rotate around the hull. And even have the image of the hull slightly bigger.

Cheers

Chris

Might I repeat the proposal to have a digital throttle control: pressing 'w' repeatedly would set the throttle to 0%->10%->30%->70%->100% and would stay at any percentage. Pressing 's' does the same in reverse to -100%. Pressing 'x' sets the speed to 0%.

Alternativly holding the key moves the throttle up a notch after a short time.

The current throttle would be indicated on the screen.

The hull indicator is absolute just as the turret is. So if the hull is facing toward the upper left then that means your chassis is facing northwest.

I think you're right, though, that fixing the chassis to bearing 000 would be less confusing for most people and since you already have a compass elsewhere, the extra information conveyed by making it absolute was redundant anyway.

Poesel, the problem with making the forward key act that way is that you would lose its current behavior, which is sometimes quite good (especially with wheeled vehicles). Doing this with an entirely separate key might be good, though.