Hermes Gripe.. More abused than Galaxy in CTF

Dark_au

I've got a bit of a problem with the Hermes. That has become it seems the favourite item in CTF. My gripe is that if you can fit that AAD package in that little thing then every thor MBT should have one on the turret for AAD against ATGM's (similar to the AD MG on soviet tanks). Whatever your "Currency" be it materials, time, energy the Thor is worth more than a paladin and if the technology exists its almost criminal not to use it.

The AAD doesn't pick up low flying 120mm. And from the distance you need to get through the armour its usually low flying (excluding the current HE bombs of course).

Infantry would then be a good weapon against that Thor (if they were more hidden).

My gripe is that if you can fit that AAD package in that little thing then every thor MBT should have one on the turret
The bulk of the package is not the gun itself but the electronics, sensor, and AI suite that drives it. The gun is only the final, simplest piece on top of a complicated underlying puzzle. The Paladin is a perfect choice because it is an IFV with lots of configurable cargo space. In the Hermes variant, the space normally reserved for squads of light and medium infantry has been reconfigured for hosting the above mentioned systems. Most AFV's don't have this kind of easily configurable space available.

Reading this thread reminded me of the Phalanx (designed to shoot down anti ship missiles).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

However--it's massive (scroll down to see the land based system). So fitting something similar into a tank that already has a 120mm gun, four crew members, is heavily armored and has a huge engine to drive all that weight...seems unrealistic to me. Just my two cents. smile.gif

edit: I forgot to mention, scroll down the Wikipedia page to see how massive the land based Phalanx is.