Mod questions thread

yurch

There isn't a forum, so for now, there's a thread. ;)

For general variable names, there's the PhysicalObjectGroup.xsd. However, beyond that, I don't know where to look to find general information.

Could someone please explain, or point us at information regarding:

What the various PhysicalObject types are (Building, Projectile, AutomatedGun, WheeledChassis, Gun, ect) and the limitations and effects of each.

What the defaults are for variables, and what variables (if any) are illegal or useless at what time or types.

For instance, I've been having trouble modding the turrets. I eventually found that a density of 1.0 for the plasma shot versus one of 0.001 for something like a mortar, is apparently what keeps the plasma shot from 'falling'... or at least in some sort of legacy code, and just for the turrets. Turrets fire .001 density shots at upward angles, but shoot 1.0 density shots forwards. The shots however, do not fall back downwards...

Conversely, load the plasmabolt in place of the hermes HE, and it fires at an arc like you would ballistically expect it to.

I suspect it has something to do with the 'type' of the turret physicalobject (which is building). However, you can't just switch the type over to something like automatedgun or just gun, as you'll cause a crash.

There's also small issues like the turrets not having reload times specified, and the fact that the turrets and hermes AA turret don't seem to be limited in thier speed of rotation. They just instantly point at whatever they want, which would be bad if I were to instantiate a facing system.

[ June 05, 2006, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: yurch ]

IIRC there will be a release of documentaion about modding 'very soon'. I'm waiting also... smile.gif

Since this is the modding thread: about when is a fix for the problem with 'connecting to a server without having the mod and crashing it' planned?

Its currently a bit pointless to make (public) mods.

There will soon be another forum just for Mods. I have prepared XSD schema files for the scenarios and for the physical objects. It is my plan to keep as much of the documentation in these XSD files so that the documentation doesn't depart from the XSD.

I will try to make the XSD a solid validating tool so that your files will have a checker built in, with all the numeric limits and such built in. There will also be some exteranl documentation that describes how to use everything and undoubtedly have some examples.

If you do not already have a good XML editing tool, consider downloading Altova XML SPY 2006 home version.

I know some of you are ready to go now, but please wait for this documentation because it will answer a lot of questions.

Let me enter a quick plea here to the vim users to please, please, PLEASE switch to a validating XML editor when editing XML, particularly when that XML actually defines behavior for another piece of software. Pretty please, with sugar on top. I know you think you won't write invalid XML. You're wrong. :)