Install takes hours (German Version)

moneymaxx

I got CMBB today and I was so eager to play it that I tried to install it ASAP. First all went well but then while installing the .wav files the computer seemed to just stop extracting. I thought it was a lock up, so I tried to interupt the installer. This resulted in a blue screen of death and a total lock up. After trying to restart my computer it did´nt start Win 98 anymore and there was no way to start it after that (not even in secure mode).

After formatting all HDD, installing Win 98 again, all the drivers etc......, and changing the CD-Rom drive, I tried to install CMBB again. The same happened, but this time I noticed that actually the Computer does not lock up but extracts the files veeeeeryyy slowly. One .wav file takes aroun 10 seconds to complete.

Does anybody experience the same problem ?

My Computer:

AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz

Elsa Geforce 2 32 MB

256 MB RAM

1,2 Gb Quantum Fireball windows HDD

2,0 GB Quantum Fireball games HDD (For CMBB)

Soundblaster Live Value

Originally posted by redwolf:

You are most ikely missing appropriate drivers to put your harddisks (and CDROM if you have a fast one) into a good DMA mode (I assume you have IDE).

Good point, but I guess that can´t be the problem because everything else (except the wavs) installs very fast. Actually the first 4 wav files do too, but than it slows down.

Guess I just have to wait 12 hours to install (my latest calculation) :(

I have a feeling this may be related to the bad CD issue. Just before my install craps out, it slows down to about 30 sec./file.

Originally posted by moneymaxx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

You are most ikely missing appropriate drivers to put your harddisks (and CDROM if you have a fast one) into a good DMA mode (I assume you have IDE).

Good point, but I guess that can´t be the problem because everything else (except the wavs) installs very fast. Actually the first 4 wav files do too, but than it slows down.

Guess I just have to wait 12 hours to install (my latest calculation) :( </font>

For what it's worth, on my machine which installs everything to a network drive, I have some games install at crawling speed (CMBB and AA amoung them) but other games and direct copying and all reading is normally fast. This is a Windows 95C machine heavily patched which would be pretty similar to Windows 98 first edition.

I do not remember whether the games that install slow, too, use the same installer as CMBB (probably not), but somehow I associate the mental picture of the Installwizard with the slowness. What installer does Airborne Assault use?

[ September 26, 2002, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]