No luck today :level creation

sIx

I had no luck creating a user mission using self made terrain today, as I realize the actual level and objects/textures/grid coordinates information are stored in the *.cd file within the level folders.

Tomorrow I will try some Direct X tools (crazy house seems to be a big fan of the API) to see if they are able to read the format.

I have included the sample terrain map and briefing if any are interested in trying to get it to work- of course you can always use the files all ready provided but I want to introduce something custom to see how the editor would take something not “hardwired”.

Here are my files

http://rapidshare.de/files/3042596/mapsample.zip.html

I did not include any scripts or any missions yet

Once again its not derived from any game parts, all custom

I’m interested to see how the heightmap would appear in the game world as it appears fine in terragen.

oh yeah i've included a PSD so it can help those intrested in making grids for briefing maps

SiX, the height map is an OUTPUT file, not an input file (in other words, it's generated automatically by the game, which also automatically created the levpack.cd file). You really ought to read the editor tutorials.

In short, from what I understand (as non-programmer type), the map topography is based on some kind of hardcoded mesh. This cannot be changed, so you cannot create a topo map from scratch like you're trying to do. What you need to do in order to create new topography is take an existing map and edit it (adding height zones, changing terrain and soil type, adding objects etc.) You can do pretty much anything you want in this way, but it can take some time if you want to make extensive changes.

Martin

And besides, your link still isnt working...

...mapsample.zip \ ...mapsample.html nothing works... tongue.gif

And besides he may be trying to actually EDIT the output files directly instead of having the engine create a topo map for him... who knows he looks determined... he may find a way tongue.gif

I dislike using Rapidshare as it is a pain but its free, i had someone else try it and it worked for them so i created a this image to help

howtorapid1lh.jpg

but yeah your right Moon, its really backwards if you ask me. I'll try making terrain over the mission editor, besides many maps to choose from(mix and match).

I hope the future holds a real terrain editor