Is it a T-72A or B?

The vehicle specs say that you can play in the T-72B... but sorry guys... the graphics show the smoke dispensers in the wrong place for that. The turret armor is not thick enough to call the tank in the screenshots and movies as the B version of the tank. I have heard of T-72As able to fire the missiles from their barrels so I have no problem with that.

So which is it guys? Typo on the vehicle list or a did you guys give the T-72A the armor and abilities of the T-72B as a cheat? Please tell me that its a typo.

All I want is realism.

Originally posted by snakeeyes:

I have heard of T-72As able to fire the missiles from their barrels so I have no problem with that.

I have not, are you sure about that?

So which is it guys? Typo on the vehicle list or a did you guys give the T-72A the armor and abilities of the T-72B as a cheat? Please tell me that its a typo.

All I want is realism.

If you want top-notch realism, then T-72 BoF is not your game. But if you are willing to let few simplifications and added bells & whistles in terms of gameplay slip by then there shouldn't be any reason why not to buy it.

Here's a Zvezda 1:35 scale T72B model with front-mounted smoke dischargers.

I must admit that the kit looks kind'a like an A or M, but the kit says B. I suspect a good deal of vehicle reference in computer games is based on kits. If the developers used the Zvezda kit as as base the result would end up looking like the Zvezda kit!.

t72aj_2.jpg

The soviets included the ability to fire missiles as far back as the T-62. This was done because they simply didn't have the range or ammunition type to compete with western range and armor.

The T-72 is capable of firing the AT-8 and I believe the newer versions are capable of firing the AT-11. If I remember correctly, the earliest versions didn't have missile capabilities, but it was added in quickly.

Also, just a point, you can't determin a tank type just by the position of smoke grenade dischargers, or stuff like that. Those are easy to take off and put on.. Plus when you start adding ERA or other defensive measures, those tend to get moved around.

It's not the smoke grenade launchers that did it for me in the screenshots of the T-72 in question but the turret size indicating it was pre-Dolly Parton configuration.

Sorry... the screenshots from the game clearly show either a T-72A with moderate up-armor.

Originally posted by snakeeyes:

Sorry... the screenshots from the game clearly show either a T-72A with moderate up-armor.

Agreed, one other difference between T-72A and T-72B is that A has 2 AAMG ammo boxes(vertical) on right turret side while B only has 1 ammo box(horizontal).

Shane, when it comes to Russian tanks smoke discharger amount and position is actually quite accurate method of telling which type it is(if it has any). Of course it's better if you have other details to go with it just to make sure.