Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Video Cards & CM

Bammer

I was looking through a computer parts sales magazine and noticed that the retailers are stocked 90% with 128 mg video cards, only one had the new 256 mg video card, but it is tres expensive. One of the computer salesmen in my area suggested that the 512mg video cards will be out within 12 months !

It will be interesting to see have the new development of video cards allowing CM to evolve into a better game.

On a side note my computer monitor died and I am getting a new on Monday. My research reflects the LGF900P ROCKS and blows away Samsung & Viewsonic ! Can anyone with first hand knowledge comment on that ?

[ October 18, 2003, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Bammer ]

No game has yet been released that will take advantage of a 256 meg video card. In fact, most benchmarks will show that the 128 meg cards actually preform better. Why you ask, because the manufactorers usually use SLOWER memory to populate a 256 meg board than they do for a 128 meg card.

For that reason, at present time, and probably for a while in the future, 128 meg cards are a much better, and less expensive, choice.

Madmatt

got to agree on the vid card - the cost benefit ain't there going from 128 to 256, yet

as for display - i'm partial to sony trinitrons myself - i've got a dell branded 21in that is stunning - and i love how completely flat this CRT is - reduces glare substantially

since you're in the market for a monitor, just curious, have you considered a flat panel? the response rates have gotten down in the range where ghosting even in fps games is eliminated - course they cost a lot too relative to CRT's

I just got a 19" NEC Multisync 97F and am fairly happy - it stacks up well against other lower-end flat CRT's, and with a $60 rebate, it set me back $200. I'm still not liking LCD's yet.

You can get a non-Ultra eVGA FX5900 128MB for about $220 now. It's got all the horsepower you'll ever need, (well, for awhile anyway) and would probably overclock close to an Ultra's specs.

It was my understanding that the vid card's memory controller, having to split it's duties between two 128MB banks, is what slowed the 256 cards down a hair.

Hpt. Lisse