Cable modem download rates on CMAK Forum?

Am not quite sure what's going on, but I'm seeing meager 4-5 KB/sec site loading rates there and elsewhere on the site, but last night in the same time frame got ~160 KB/sec at www.tuppersaussy.com.

Site speed on the CMAK Forum's about the same 4-5 KB/sec now, too. Are the CMAK site in particular and the BFC site in general so relatively slow (cable modem's good for 300+ KB/sec) simply because there is so much traffic that the servers can't keep up, or is there some other explanation I need to investigate? I thought it might be seismic flu, but if so, it's highly selective as to where it strikes. Am running Communicator 4.8 under Mac OS 9.2. Thanks for any and all help.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

Hi John,

I'm using DSL on a Mac and get consistently 26k, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less, all over the web. Some sites are however real slow, and as you surmised sometimes the BFC server bogs down. The chief culprit appears to be threads that have gone over 300 posts in length, but I think threads that have a lot of embedded images can do it too.

Michael

One other thing I've noticed is that even when actual flow rates are quick enough, there is often a time lag of several to many seconds before actual download commences. This may have something to do with a lagging server either at BFC's end or my ISP, or a combination of the two, I don't know which.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

I'm talking about a prelude to a Netscape Navigator crash. One minute I'm waiting for a site to load, the next back at the Desktop staring at an error message. Sometimes it simply locks up completely, instead of crashing.

Madmatt,

I'm asking about the speed of the forum, as when I've made a post and am waiting to be taken back to the forum. I typically see 5-6 KB/sec site reload rates after making a post to the CMAK Forum. Was trying to find out whether the Forum is slow to load or whether it's my connection. Tests run at another site appear to show that the speed issue isn't because of my connection, seeing as how I got ~160 KB/sec at www.tuppersaussy.com. It's well under what the cable modem is capable of (300+ KB/sec), but way better than what I typically get here.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Michael Emrys,

I'm talking about a prelude to a Netscape Navigator crash. One minute I'm waiting for a site to load, the next back at the Desktop staring at an error message. Sometimes it simply locks up completely, instead of crashing.

Wow, bummer. Have you tried another browser?

Madmatt,

I'm asking about the speed of the forum, as when I've made a post and am waiting to be taken back to the forum. I typically see 5-6 KB/sec site reload rates after making a post to the CMAK Forum. Was trying to find out whether the Forum is slow to load or whether it's my connection. Tests run at another site appear to show that the speed issue isn't because of my connection, seeing as how I got ~160 KB/sec at www.tuppersaussy.com. It's well under what the cable modem is capable of (300+ KB/sec), but way better than what I typically get here.

Okay, Matt, I was talking about something different. My download times look okay, but there is often a wait of several to quite a few seconds (anywhere from 3 to 8 or more) before a download begins. I have no way to tell if it's your server or the connection between your server and my ISP. I'm using DSL via msn.com BTW.

Michael