Fog won't show

Originally emailed to BTS but came back undeliverable...

I was playing a TCP/IP game the other day and was having a heck of a time getting any sort of LOS to the target area. I finally said something and my opponent mentioned it was due to the dense fog. I was like "what dense fog?" Sure enough, the status bar showed dense fog. I checked all my settings, I had everything set to full detail. But my screen showed no trace of the fog whatsoever. Here are my specs:

Abit KT7A RAID motherboard

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz

Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO video card

256 MB RAM

As you can see, I should have more than enough power to display any graphic in the game. Any idea what the problem may be? It shows smoke, rain and all the other types of things just fine.

The entire ATI video line on the PC is incapable of displaying fog (fog-tables)in CM, including the latest Radeons. This is a driver issue ATI has with DirectX. ATI drivers for the Mac have no problems displaying fog-tables in RAVE.

I've noted that a few other games with fog have had trouble with the ATI drivers. I'm not sure how many of them use fog-tables. ATI has released patches for "fog" in the past, but I believe it is still an issue with some games.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't believe that ATI will release a fix for this problem any time soon. It has been an issue for quite awhile and will probably remain so.