Why now? Why me? Oh woe!

Is there any Macwise person out there

who could generously help figure out

the cause of this problem. I would

be very grateful for any advice.

thx,

--Rett

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Unfortunately I don't think that there is a solution to your problem that will allow you to continue your current game. It appears as if your autosave file is corrupt in some manner and CM is hanging trying to process it. I'm not sure who may have generated this error in your TCP/IP game, I assume it would be the processing host that had the problem.

Here's an Apple Knowledgebase article on OS error reporting and some very general solutions. For 'type 2' errors it looks like minimizing your extensions and control panels or alloting more RAM to CM would be the Apple suggested solutions to your problem (at least the first instance of the error).

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?type=id&val=55743&KCID=261343&sid=anonymous|700640

Maybe someone else can chime in here and offer some more Mac-oriented advice.

Thanks for your advice! You mentioned

hosting and the like, and the fact that

the autosaved file seemed corrupted

somehow.

Basically, I was the IP host for the

game, and my oppnent's computer was

processing the turns. I assume CM lets

the faster CPU handle the turns, but

does that mean I shouldn't be hosting?

Anyhow, it looks as thought the game can

be completed by e-mail...so the corruption

only comes into play in TCP/IP.

I don't know if any of this information

sheds useful light on the problem but I

thought I'd toss it out in case you our

anyone else might suddenly go aha!

thx again,

--Rett

Ooopps...

I had forgot about PBEM completion of TCP/IP games (which usually works). I had assumed for some reason (though you didn't explicitly mention it) that you had already tried that route.

I'm not sure what it is - data-wise - that prevents a game from being completed solely by TCP/IP, but still enable it to be finished as a PBEM. As far as I can guess the computer performing the turn processing would be the most likely culprit for corrupting the TCP/IP session. You should still be able to 'host' a TCP/IP session without worrying about corrupting the games on a consistent basis, but I would recommend assigning a lot of memory to CM's memory partition and minimizing the number of extensions/CPs that get loaded up when you play CM.

I'm curious was your opponent on a Mac or PC ? That shouldn't matter as players have had TCP/IP problems regardless of the hardware differences between the opponents.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Ooopps...

I had forgot about PBEM completion of TCP/IP games (which usually works). I had assumed for some reason (though you didn't explicitly mention it) that you had already tried that route.

I'm not sure what it is - data-wise - that prevents a game from being completed solely by TCP/IP, but still enable it to be finished as a PBEM. As far as I can guess the computer performing the turn processing would be the most likely culprit for corrupting the TCP/IP session. You should still be able to 'host' a TCP/IP session without worrying about corrupting the games on a consistent basis, but I would recommend assigning a lot of memory to CM's memory partition and minimizing the number of extensions/CPs that get loaded up when you play CM.

I'm curious was your opponent on a Mac or PC ? That shouldn't matter as players have had TCP/IP problems regardless of the hardware differences between the opponents.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

I have done several things to try to fix

this. I've increased CM's memory allocation

to 50megs. Does that sound like enough? I've

also turned off a bunch of control panels

and extensions that appear unnecessary at

present, and have ditched microsoft mail

and browser programs (at least in the same

session as I wish to host a TCP/IP game)

in favor of Netscape and Eudora.

I don't know what sort of computer my

opp. was using, but I'll ask.

best regards,

--Rett