Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Videocard upgrade problem

shrek

Thanks to all the good advice on this forum, I decided to upgrade my videocard to a GeForce 4 Ti 4400. It absolutely rocks! I had previously run the CMBB demo on my old Voodoo 3 16MB card.

The problem now is that when I try to run CMBB, I get a black screen and an error message. No problem, just re-configure it for the new card, right? So I deleted the CMBB "Preferences" file according to the instructions for the demo, but still no luck. Is there anything else I can do, or do I just need spend a few hours downloading the demo (I have a 56k modem) and reinstalling it all over again?

Did you uninstall your Voodoo drivers first before installing the NVidia ones ? If you haven't, then I suggest uninstalling the Voodoo drivers and the NVidia drivers. What version of DirectX do you have installed ? Typically you'll want DirectX 8.1 (if you have WinXP you already have that version of DirectX), which is necessary for the latest NVidia drivers.

When you reboot I suggest selecting 'Standard PCI SVGA' as the video card (this may vary depending on the version of Windows you have). You may want to reinstall DirectX 8.1 even if you've already done so. After the requisite reboots then install the NVidia drivers.

With this done you need to check out how the GeForce is configured by running the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG - Win9x/ME or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG - Win2K/XP). On the Display tab there will be three buttons on the left which should all be enabled. If they're not, then there is something wrong with your setup. You may need to install chipset drivers, change a CMOS/BIOS setup setting or update your motherboard BIOS. On the right hand side are two buttons to test the video card under DirectX. The Direct3D test is the important one here.

Did you uninstall your Voodoo drivers first before installing the NVidia ones ? If you haven't, then I suggest uninstalling the Voodoo drivers and the NVidia drivers.
Thank you very much for the advice, I will try it when I get home tonight. If it makes any difference, the new card was installed by a local computer store, along with a new mother board/CPU & new hard drive (it's almost an all-new system). The Voodoo drivers are still on my old hard drive, which is now my backup or "E" drive. So yes, they're still in the computer, but on a different hard drive. I also upgraded the OS to Win XP, so it should already have DirectX 8.1. I had no problem running FPS games like Quake 3 & Medal of Honor with the new card, but now I'm curious as to whether CMBO will recognize it. Anyway, thanks again!