Game does not recognize CD

Hello everyone.

I bought and installed the game after enjoying the demo. Trying to run it resulted in a black screen and back to desktop. Same with my both CD drives at that moment (Hewlett Packard CDRW and Mitsumi CDROM).

I reinstalled, same problem. I then patched the game to version 1.12. The game starts, but orders me to insert the CD (which is in the drive and readable in Windows). Otherwise it will only run in multiplayer.

After many attempts to remedy this (copying the whole disk to drive D and installing to drive C etc...) I went and bought a new CDRW drive, LG 32x 10x 40x.

The damn thing still does not recognize the CD!

Then I made a backup of the original. That won´t run either.

Do I have a defective CD?

Any more suggestions what I could try?

All help greatly appreciated!

Doc

My system:

Athlon T-bird 1 Ghz

512 RAM

Abit KT7RAID MB

Geforce 2 GTS

C drive 16,7 G

D drive 90 G RAID 0 (2 x IBM 45G)

Sounblaster Live Gold

What OS are you running ? We've heard problems for some users with XP. Sometimes the solution ended up being the purchase of a new CD drive (which you've already done).

As rune pointed out, don't patch to 1.12. If you just purchased the game from Battlefront/BTS then your CD already has 1.12. Patching 1.12 will cause it to definitely not see the CD. If you have the patch currently installed all you have to do is delete the file C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO\Combat Mission.exe and the prefs file C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO\Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs (assuming you've installed to the default locations). Now just copy the Combat Mission.exe file from the CD to the CMBO directory on your hard drive and you should go through the resolution selection process again when you launch CM (this will generate a Prefs file).

Typically when CM doesn't see the CD it should still show the initial splash screen with two buttons. Over this will be a dialog box warning that the CD isn't present. Is this what you see or is your screen completely black with nothing on it ?

I'd suggest installing the VIA chipset and/or AGP drivers for your OS if you haven't done so already. You can get them here: VIA 4-in-1 4.37a.

Another suggestion is to put the CM CDROM in the drive and make sure that Explorer can see the CD. At that point launch CM and see if it works or not.

Thank you Schrullenhaft.

I see the initial splash screen with two buttons. There it prompts me to insert CD. I´ m running Win98 with all service packs installed. I got the same problem whether or not I patch the game. (Without the patch I don´t get to see the splash screen though.) Here in Finland a software import company bought a batch of Combat Mission so I bought it from a store. They must have an older than 1.12 version. I try the new 4in1s. Hopefully they do the trick.

I´m pretty frustrated with this computer BS already. ;)

Keep those suggestions coming and I´ll keep trying!

Thanks.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem. My install CD is the UK version, v1.03. I am running Windows XP. CD drive is Relisys 16x DVD. I have installed v1.12 and now the game refuses to see the CD-ROM. I have uninstalled then re-installed from the original CD, now v1.03 will not read the CD either.

I have tried another CD-ROM drive, same problem.

It's quite obvious that COMBAT MISSION has a problem, NOT our hardware. Seems like a fix is required from Battlefront don't you agree ??

If you have purchased a RETAIL version of CMBO in Europe (the recent CDV release or a previous German release via CDV ?) then DO NOT PATCH THE GAME !.

The 1.12 patch was released in February 2001. This patch is intended ONLY FOR THE INTERNET RELEASED VERSION OF CMBO. The CDV release is a DIFFERENT EXECUTABLE and is not patchable with this patch. The CDV version uses different copy-protection code and starts with an AVI movie instead of a QuickTime movie. If you patch with the 1.12 patch then the game will not work because of these difference (primarily the different copy protection).

If you've installed the patch, then you need to DELETE the executable (Combat Mission.exe) and the preferences file (Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs), everything else should be able to remain without problems. Replace these files with the ones directly off of the CD.

I don't know if the version number will appear differently for the CDV released versions. The internals of the game should be the same as 1.12, but there is a possibility that it has a different numbering scheme. I don't think ANY retail versions came out until AFTER 1.12 was released. If your retailer bought the copies directly from BTS BEFORE FEBRUARY 2001 then they may be an older version (which WOULD be patchable with the 1.12 patch).

I have never played with the CDV or any other retail release of CM in Europe. CM itself seems fine and the problems are usually tied to hardware or drivers. I've seen cases where the driver install with allow other programs to work, but CM will have a problem until the drivers are properly installed. I'm not familiar with the copy protection scheme of these particular releases and it's possible that this software may have problems with the firmware of certain CD/DVD drives.

I suggest inserting the CD BEFORE you launch CM. Waiting until you launch CM to insert the CD doesn't always work. You may want to disable the CD auto-start (if you can) since I've heard that the CDV software runs the installer each time the CD is inserted. Check to make sure that Explorer (the file manager) can see the CD and then launch CM.

[ March 17, 2002, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Just a note that might help with this problem....I'm running Windows XP Pro and if I set CMBO to Windows 98/ME compatibility mode, the game does not recognize the CD. If I set it to Windows 2000 compatiblity or just run as Windows XP, the CD is recognized.