Problem uncertain

Poster

I can only get CM to run when in 640 x 480 resolution with graphics acceleration set to basic functions only. It is a chore to play at these settings. If I try anything else my machine completely locks up as soon as the battlefield displays. I have to hit the reset button to restart my computer. System is as follows:

450 Mhz Pentium III

64 MB Ram

Windows 98

3D Voodoo Banshee AGP SGRAM 16 MB

DirectX 7.0a

Logitech Wheel Mouse

Crystal SoundFusion

I have made certain to obtain the latest drivers for video, mouse, and sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Guest Madmatt

Lets try a few things and see what effect they have.

First I want you to browse to your Combat Mission folder and delete the file called "Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs".

Next I want you to go and install Direct X 8.0, that is available from the following page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=25685

Lastly I want you to load Combat Mission but as it loads I want you to press and hold the Shift key. This will toggle the intro movie OFF.

Now, see what happens. Be sure to do the above in that order.

Madmatt

Well, it may not help your current situation any, but you really ought to get more memory, especially now when the prices are relatively low.

Sometimes you have to reinstall DirectX after you install new vid card drivers, but you said you installed DirectX 8.0, presumably after you had your vid drivers installed. Are the banshee drivers DX8.0 compatable?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Poster - do you have lockups with any other programs on your PC, especially DirectX-based games ?

When you say you're using the latest drivers, which set of drivers are you using; the 3dfx Reference Banshee drivers or the manufacturer's supplied/modified drivers ? I've occasionally heard of people having problems with the Reference drivers (though this isn't consistent). The problem with using the manufacturer's drivers is that they aren't always updated to the latest rev. and consequently may still have certain bugs.

You may want to adjust your AGP/Graphics Aperture in your CMOS/BIOS setup to its lowest value (if this setting is even available). For some users this can fix some graphics issues. I'd also suggest changing some of your settings in the DirectX Diagnostic > Display tab, especially disabling the AGP-related setting (though this will slow down your performance).

To all,

The Voodoo Banshee video drivers I am using I obtained from the Microsoft Windows Update site. The info on them says they are from Joytech Computer Co. The Windows Update web site recommended them as better than the drivers I was using, which I had downloaded from the 3dfx website. The game doesn't work with either set of drivers.

Don't play games on my computer very often, but don't ever recall any program locking up this computer before.

In the DirectX > Display tab next to the AGP Texture Acceleration Feature it says 'Not available and the Disable button is grayed out.

Finally, I went into the CMOS and changed the AGP aperture to the smallest possible value and that did not fix the problem either.

I appreciate your help.

Rich

Sometimes you have to reinstall DirectX after you install new vid card drivers, but you said you installed DirectX 8.0, presumably after you had your vid drivers installed. Are the banshee drivers DX8.0 compatable?

Juardis, I had heard it the other way that the vid card driver may need to be updated again after loading the latest version of DirectX

smile.gif

Originally posted by Poster:

Well, I've tried everything suggested here and still no dice. Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

Rich

I have the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop. I've given up and am playing in software mode now. With the fast processor it's manageable but ugly. Hopefully some future version of CM and/or DirectX and/or video drivers will fix the problem for some or all of us.

By the way, you don't have to change the graphics acceleration setting to play in software mode. Just delete your prefs file, start the game, and when it asks you if you accept the resolution, say 'No' until it gets to 640x480 and 'Software Mode'.

If none of the driver updates/tweaks work for you then danyzn's suggestion of running in software mode should.

Do you know what driver version you're currently running ? 1.04.00 is the latest to my knowledge (which may be what you're running). You can check by going to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click on the Display Adapter icon > double-click on the display device icon that comes up underneath > Driver tab > Driver File Details button > highlighting the first or second file listed (*.DRV or *.VXD) should tell you the file version. The "Joytech" driver probably isn't any different than the 3dfx Reference driver you got from 3dfx's website. Who is the manufacturer of your particular Voodoo Banshee ? Sometimes the manufacturer's release of the drivers are more compatible.

It seems strange that DirectX won't recognize your card as being AGP. That would suggest something wrong with the drivers or the registry. It's possible that you may have to uninstall all of your video drivers so that your video card is recognized as a PCI SuperVGA and then install the latest version.

As for laptops - their video capabilities seem to vary all over the place. Despite their cost there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of effort to update their drivers, especially video drivers. The chipset manufacturers won't support them and they force you to go back to the OEM (in this case Dell). These companies are primarily interested in getting the drivers to work with productivity apps and 2D. Game compatibility seems to take a distant last place for updates.

• 2 months later...