Help w/ new graphics card

I just installed a new card into a PCI slot. My computer already had an AGP Video chipset incorporated on the motherboard (so says the manual). The old card is still the one recognized by the system. The hardware profile shows both. I "removed" the old card, but when I reboot it puts it back. How can I make the system use the new card as the default? HELP!

You may have to check your CMOS/BIOS setup to see if you can disable your on-board video from a setting in there. Otherwise there may be a switch or jumper on the motherboard that disables the on-board video. A number of motherboards would disable their on-board video when a video card was detected on any of the buses. It is also possible that the routine for disabling the on-board video requires that your plug your monitor into the new PCI video card (VESA DDC detection of the monitor). Sometimes a BIOS may leave the on-board enabled, but depending on settings in the CMOS setup or other factors may make it the primary or secondary display in a Win98 setup.

If none of this helps then you will either need to check your system/motherboard manufacturer's website and/or check out any BIOS updates that may be available for your system.

ok - here is an update. I changed a setting in my config.sys (disabled EMM) and it now allows my system to recognize two adapters and two monitors. The only problem is that when I hook the monitor up to the new board it goes & stays blank. Still trying different stuff - but any help would be appreciated.

latest update - now I can see the wallpaper on my desktop, but the screen is only showing part of the desktop (like 1/4 of the screen). And no matter what resolution I set it on I can only see part - can't access the start menu or see any desktop Icons unless they are in the far right upper corner of the screen. I feel so close but so far from resolving this - help!

If you swap you monitor cable to the other video connection you will probably see your start menu, etc. Apparently the video card you are connected to right now is the secondary display.

If you want one to be the primary and the other to be the secondary, you will need to go into your BIOS/CMOS setup. In there you will need to find (probably under PNP/PCI or Integrated Peripherals or Advanced Setup, etc.) the setting that selects the Primary display (usually you'll have a choice of AGP/PCI - the first or displayed value being the primary). In your case you'll probably want to select the Primary display as PCI. Save your settings and hook up your monitor to the PCI video card. When you reboot you should see the memory count, etc happening on the display. If you don't, then the built-in video is still being considered the primary display.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-27-2000).]

Sometimes I have even noticed that some Mainboard manufacturers like to put jumpers on the board that control the built-in products. If you have a manual take a look in there, otherwise try their web site. My suggestion would to disable the on-board video.