Ammunition rules

Guest Mike

Dan I've been unable to get e-mail through to you from either home or work for hte last 20 or so hours, so I'm posting this here instead.

Are you considering bringing ammunition into the game at all?

I've been doing some reading on WW2 a/c and I've found a few things that made me think of it.

Eg the Fw190A4 had 250 rounds per gun for it's wing root 20mm cannon - but only 55 rpg for the outer wing cannon (and 1000 for the 2 fuselage mounted MG's IIRC) - so I would imagine that the 2 outer wing guns would often be restricted to use against targets that needed more effort to be shot down - eg bombers.

Another case was the 20mm cannon in the Spitfire wings - early ones retained the drum feed (Mk Vb) - which limited them to 60 rounds, and also had to be turned on it's side. When a belt feed was introduced (Mk VC onwards) they carried 120 rounds per gun.

The A6 Zero had a similar transformation - the A6M2's only had 60 rounds per 20mm, the A6M5's had 125 and their type 2 cannon were faster firing and had a higher muzzle velocity - altogether far more effective.

So I wonder if a future enhancement might be to limit some of the firepower for some planes - perhaps have an "out of ammo" card for some of their armament that has limited ammo and change the characteristics appropriately, or allow only a limited number of shots with part of the armament & allow the player to choose when to use them.

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/fgun.html has coments on some a/c armaments including info on ammo carried

I also found the following series of linked pages. They have bucketloads of info on armaments and effectiveness:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-pe.html - this page is very similar to that above, but has different comments

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-fi.html - more notes on individual fighter armament similar to the 1st link above

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-ar.html - discussion on fighter armour - arguably unarmoured fighters should be even more vulnerable than the A6M's are now, and early war German and British fighters were unarmoured too......

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-de.html - bomber armamanet and effectiveness

I just thought of a truly evil plan - have an "out of amo" card, but give it effect only when played - except yuo canot discard it .....

force a player to choose betwen carrying a dud card or lossing a bit of firepower.

no doubt karma would ensure I would be the first person to encounter this predicament!! :eek: :rolleyes:;)

What if you made an "out of ammo" card that you could play as a reaction card to an "IMS" or "OOS" card? It would be like playing a "No Response" (so you would take the damage), except that it would cause your opponent to have a -1 Burst for the rest of the game or something.

ouch - that'd be nasty too, and probably simpler.

Would you limit it to a/c that have low ammo loads compared with "normal" for some of their weapons - as another point of difference?

That's the general Idea I have - then the effect would be to take just some of hteweapons out of hte equation - eg an A6M2 Zero might lose it's 20mm cannon be left with just it's 2 machinegiuns, but it would have no effect on an A6M5 with double the load of 20mm shells.

Similarly it wouldn't affect the Mosquito, which had 400 (FOUR HUNDRED!!) rounds per 20mm cannon, and 1000 per machinegun

If "Out of Ammo" was going to be a card that is dependent on the type of aircraft, it almost seems like you would have to move towards "custom decks". That is, instead of aircraft drawing from a common deck, each aircraft gets its own deck which reflects the attributes of that aircraft.

I've always thought that this could be another interesting way of differentiating aircraft. For example, aircraft with high turn rates might have more Tight Turn cards in their decks. Aircraft that were poor at diving might have fewer Vertical Roll cards in their decks.

You might even come up with new cards, such as a "Boom and Zoom" card that allows an aircraft to dive a level, fire once, and then return to its starting altitude.

This is all "blue sky" stuff right now, though. But I suppose if there were enough player interest in a particular idea, we could at least look at the effort involved.

Funnily enough I had an idea for different decks for shooting depending upon the number and calibre of guns on an aircraft.... smile.gif

I started with what shoudl hte shooting deck look like with 2 rifle calibre machine guns, then 1 rc and 1 hmg, then 2 hmg's, then 1 20mm + 1 rc mg, ...and so on.

So far I'm only up to 4 hmg's.... smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Jamming wasn't common - except that some a/c did experience it.

Apparently the poor ol' Buffalo had a probem with the .50's it carried - no one really knows why but htey speculated the mouints and firing mechanisms were for .30's.

Anyway - the Brits substituted .303's for them in some a/c.

Some other guns may have had a reputatoin for jamming too maybe - it could be part of some custom decks.

no - other way around!!

The early versions had hte drums, and only 60 rounds, up until hte Mk Vb - then the "C" wing was introduced with a belt feed and 120 rounds.

The bulge was because the cannon were placed on their sides to improve their reliability.

I have read different comments I think that the belt feed was introduced on the Mk VC or the Mk IIB.