Matchups for 2v2

fej425

Just an FYI...

Not sure how the matchups for 2v2 are determined, but it could maybe use a little tweaking. Earlier today I was in one where myself and one other player were both in the high 200s, and the other guys were a 500ish and a 600ish. We were matched up as the 2 200s against the 500 and 600. Got a little ugly, probably would have been more interesting if the teams were balanced better.

The current program logic tries to match teams up based on nationality. So if the person who created the game used British pilots, then it would try to team him up with another British pilot. Failing that, it would try to match him up with an Allied pilot, and if all else fails, it just does an odd-even matchup.

I can adjust how close the point values have to be in order to join a game, but it can be tough to find the right balance. If I make it too loose, then you can end up with some really mismatched games. If I make it too tight, then it becomes almost impossible to find an opponent.

Highest + lowest vs the 2 middle?

But ideally some method for the players themselves to allocate the matches would be best.

Displying the matches on the acceptance dialogue would be useful too.

Exactly - the optimal solution would be to allow players to determine who their teammates will be, and therefore we'll leave things as they are for now.

Especially because the balancing issues are smaller than you think - since victory levels depend on the starting point ratio, a team with higher combined point value can actually be at a disadvantage vs. lower point opponents. In extreme cases, two high point players would need to shoot down ALL enemy planes and still only be able to get a minor victory for example.

So in other words - the game/victory logic is counter-balancing starting point values already.

Martin