Midway Campaign Released

bartbert

The Battle of Midway took place in early June of 1942 around the small island of Midway in the middle of the Pacific. Japanese carrier-based aircraft battled American carrier-based and land-based aircraft in a vital battle for control of the Pacific Ocean.

A new feature to this campaign is the concept of "Unknown Targets". Sometimes you will see a target with a question mark instead of the normal target values. You will have to decide whether you want to assign pilots to the attack or defense of this target without knowing for sure what is actually there. Once both sides have assigned their pilots, the target is revealed. It could be a carrier with fuel and armaments strewn across the deck (ie, a x2 carrier), or it could be a worthless "No Target".

[ November 18, 2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: bartbert ]

You guys should have lots of fun with this campaign. Brian and Dan did a great job with it.

Another note about it. Remember that bombers have different ratings against ships as they do land based targets. You can see it on the map after you assign bombers to targets and view it through the "preview" button.

Have fun.

-Ray

Good Work! I just tried Midway and i must say i like the changes to the campaign system, especially the new variable bomber ratings. I wonder how that will affect other campaigns. Singapore comes to mind, maybe that will make help the japaneses team a little bit. The fog of war effects are a good idea, too. I had three of those in my campaign, two times it was no target, the third time a U.S. carrier. With luck a good target appearing out of the blue can turn a campaign, the added element of uncertainty is nice.

I won as hte allies too, but I didn't enjoy it as much I'm afraid.

The defender should know what's under any "unknown" targets - it's a bit silly not knowing where your own carriers are, and knowing that hte other guy doesn't know either!! lol

Also visually Midway just looks too big - it should be a speck on hte map - as it is it looks like the battles are being fought just off it's coast.

The campaign works, but I don't think it's going to be one of the best ones.