Black screen while computer computes turn in CMBB

kmead

I haven't played in a while and I know this didn't occur with CMBO, today I booted into OS9.2.2 and ran CMBB. I get a black screen while the computer is kerchunking on the Computer's turn and generating the movie file. Does CMBB do this to everybody now or is it just now that I have OSX 10.2.3 with the updated OpenGL (v 1.4 I believe) that it includes and adds to Classic and therefor to my OS 9.2.2 installation?

So, would someone kindly let me in on what the behavior is on their Mac system. Thanks.

Edited to add what I am running:

G4MDD Dual 867

Geforce 4MX 32Mb with extension Geforce2mx.kext v 1.2.8.8.0

OpenGL v 1.2.1.9.0

AGL.framework 2.2.7 for OpenGl compatibility

867mb Ram

OS 10.2.3

OS9.2.2

Thanks for the response Tom.

[ December 23, 2002, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: kmead ]

Originally posted by kmead:

I haven't played in a while and I know this didn't occur with CMBO, today I booted into OS9.2.2 and ran CMBB. I get a black screen while the computer is kerchunking on the Computer's turn and generating the movie file. Does CMBB do this to everybody now or is it just now that I have OSX 10.2.3 with the updated OpenGL (v 1.4 I believe) that it includes and adds to Classic and therefor to my OS 9.2.2 installation?

So, would someone kindly let me in on what the behavior is on their Mac system. Thanks.

congrats! smile.gif

you must be the first to find that one

I'm not there yet.

sorry can't help

-tom w

Hi

I'm not sure this is specifically related to CMBB or the new OpenGL drivers. I get the same problem on the same system as yours when I'm running CMBO. I have OSX 10.2.1 and OS 9.2.2

I have no idea what causes this but I suspect its something to do with the Nvidia card. I've written to NVidia about their card in relation to Combat Mission games but have had no response. Maybe if more of us did this we might get a reply?

Thank you, I think I will.

I posted the following to Macintouch's feedback page for OS10.2.3, we'll see if we get any responses. I will also post the same to Apple's website.

I installed OS10.2.3 update within an hour of its release. I have a MDD867 G4 tower with Nvidia 4MX graphics card, 3/4gb of Ram and a standard install of 9.2.2. My only installed peripherals are a Epson 740, a Iomega USB Zip drive and a second CDR/RW 48-12-48 (LiteOn fully supported under X). I use a cable modem behind a Siemens router with the firewall on and the OSX firewall enabled.

I have had several instances of the computer quitting out of Explorer to the computer log in window. I have also had Classic quit and restart spontaneously.

When I booted into OS9.2.2 with all standard extensions on, the eject button for the CD drives the computer will lock hard (it won't resopnd to any key commands though the mouse is still active but cannot activate and menus or anything else) and require a hard reboot. If I just drag the CD icon to the trash or select eject it works fine.

In addition, while running Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin by Big Time Software/Battlefront.com, during the orders resolution phase the screen goes all black while crunching the turn. This is new behavior. CMBB was written on a Mac for both the Mac and PC version and unfortunately will not run under OSX/Classic due to a conflict with the Classic Rave extension which is not up to the same rev level as Rave was under OS8.6-9.2.2. CMBB and CMBO are now the only reason I have for booting back into 9.2.2, there is a large CM community of over 10,000 members (a small part of the total installed base) and all of them are suffering the same ills with CM and X/Classic.

Beyond those issues, which are pretty damning, the update so far works well.

Karl Mead

Originally posted by kmead:

Thank you, I think I will.

I posted the following to Macintouch's feedback page for OS10.2.3, we'll see if we get any responses. I will also post the same to Apple's website.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I installed OS10.2.3 update within an hour of its release. I have a MDD867 G4 tower with Nvidia 4MX graphics card, 3/4gb of Ram and a standard install of 9.2.2. My only installed peripherals are a Epson 740, a Iomega USB Zip drive and a second CDR/RW 48-12-48 (LiteOn fully supported under X). I use a cable modem behind a Siemens router with the firewall on and the OSX firewall enabled.

I have had several instances of the computer quitting out of Explorer to the computer log in window. I have also had Classic quit and restart spontaneously.

When I booted into OS9.2.2 with all standard extensions on, the eject button for the CD drives the computer will lock hard (it won't resopnd to any key commands though the mouse is still active but cannot activate and menus or anything else) and require a hard reboot. If I just drag the CD icon to the trash or select eject it works fine.

In addition, while running Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin by Big Time Software/Battlefront.com, during the orders resolution phase the screen goes all black while crunching the turn. This is new behavior. CMBB was written on a Mac for both the Mac and PC version and unfortunately will not run under OSX/Classic due to a conflict with the Classic Rave extension which is not up to the same rev level as Rave was under OS8.6-9.2.2. CMBB and CMBO are now the only reason I have for booting back into 9.2.2, there is a large CM community of over 10,000 members (a small part of the total installed base) and all of them are suffering the same ills with CM and X/Classic.

Beyond those issues, which are pretty damning, the update so far works well.

Karl Mead

</font>