How can I ensure Romania and Hungary

I've played the 1.06 version a couple of times but can't understand when and why Romania and Hungary joins Axis (with default settings). They gain a few % when France falls but then it can be all quiet and might go so far that USSR declares war to Romania after Barbarossa. Some other times they join during autumn 1940 - spring 1941. What triggers that? Should I spend Diplomacy points to them when I start as Axis or what to do?

Spain has to be over 40% toward the Axis

You have to do nothing that will upset Romania or Hungary and they'll join before the Winter of '40-41. I may have seen Hungary wait a few times quite late. I do not think I've ever seen it happen that often... Really high odds they join Before Summer hits! Which is well before the USSR joins, unless that the Allies have invested Diplomatically to prevent this... Check the diplo screens to see if the percentages move. If they do not join you before Barby, because you have upset them, then invade them before the Russians!

Most people upset Spain with attacking Vichy too early and fall into a trap not knowing they'll lose Balkan Support. If you aren't invading Spain and diplomatically hitting Romania and Hungary then you'll lose them.

Assuming it's unchanged since 1.05a.

Unless the Allies get seriously lucky with Romania (twice!), you'll always get Bulgaria.

Hungary will join just after you declare war on the USSR at the latest. Romania will not join unless you put one chit in.

The problem is that the Allies know all this. If you go into Spain, they know that you'll have to diplo Romania. They also know that you might not do Hungary, relying on it to join eventually.

So, it depends what they do of course smile.gif . And that depends on what they expect you to do. You'll be very safe with 2 on Hungary & 3 on Romania, but then that's costly. A minimum in most games would be 1:2, although you might choose to risk 0:1.

If you're worried about overspending, consider this. Each turn that you have a connected Romania (i.e. Romania and Hungary), you get 70 MMP. That pays you back almost a chit a turn. Of course, it's a risk smile.gif .

ROMANIA

Start: 75%

France falls: 3-5%

USSR war entry: 7-10%

Min/Max: 85%/90%

22/10/1940 trigger nation: Spain @40%

HUNGARY

Start 80%

France falls: 3-5%

USSR war entry: 7-10%

Min/Max: 90%/95%

22/10/1940 trigger nation: Spain @40%