Wargamer Post #4 - Units

Buried in this post is the following idea:

Fortifications - How about +4 entrenchment for fixed fortifications, +2 for engineer-built? I'd still like to see a fortification function that allows a unit to move in and immediately get a bonus, rather than just a higher entrenchment level that takes forever to max out.
I like it. It would allow the Russian or German engineers to build a defensive line towards which their forward units could make a fighting withdrawal. It would also make holding a defensive line easier as units in such a position would always start a combat turn with a specific level of entrenchment.

I wonder though, if the AI will properly use engineers to build fortifications? Alas, this will take some game testing to see if there are any key chokepoints where fortifications would be most helpful.

Will engineer built fortifications give units in them an air defense and naval bombardment defense bonus? I think they should as WWII air and naval bombardments were largely uneffective against units in fortifications, despite the large amounts of ordenance expended. Why? Unlike the precision guided weapons of today the bombs of WWII were quite inaccurate.

[ April 09, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Actually the default map no longer has Gibraltar as an impassable area either, but the Istanbul area will be similar to Strategic Command.
Cool, now the allies are forced to guard the Straits else the Italian fleet may gain entry into the Atlantic. This change will have a big impact upon the battle for the Atlantic as the UK navy will be forced to divide its forces.

[ April 09, 2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Edwin P. it only makes Good-Sense as you say that an 'Existing Fortification' would give a new occupier an 'Instant-Defensive-Bonus' upon entry/occupation...then, the regular entrenchment bonus'es would increase over time as the unit held that location.

I kind of like the idea of designating cities and ports for builds of naval/air/ground units. This would limit your builds to certain areas that have greater than 8 MPP value, or some other mechanism to associate local resources/manpower to unit creation.

It would also be nice to create a supply system, optional of course and a very simple abstraction. It could be related to the MPP accumulated each turn if "Supply"/"No Supply" is selected on the game options screen. Depending on the amount of action points and/or attacks the unit uses the appropriate amount of supplies are expended. Now we would have a third item of strategy to think about instead of 2 as MPPs are related to builds/reinforcements and research investments.