Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Top and bottom floor

Monwar

You're right the advantage is that they can see over things, I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that troops in the upper floor suffer more casualties if the buliding is destroyed. On that basis I'd put MGs, spotters and HQs acting as spotters in the upper floor and everything else in the lower floor. Of the AT teams only PIATs should really be inside buildings, bazookas and panzerschrecks will cause the crew to be suppressed for a while after firing and occasionally set the building on fire.

Bear in mind though that some players will destroy two storey building on principle in the hope of getting an expensive artillery spotter, the AI doesn't do this though, if you have other cover with a good LOS for your spotters use that instead.

Originally posted by Monwar:

...but the bottom floor supposedly exposes less.

Do you mean the bottom floor provides more cover or that it is simply less exposed because it has reduced LOS relative to an upper floor?

I've read that using a "reverse-slope" style defense in buildings is a good way to go. Position your troops so that they can't be fired on except by enemy that are in or almost in the building. With alot of infantry units, some have to go upstairs to fit them all in. This gives the defender the ability to hit the attacker while on the move, and, ideally, concentrate all defensive fire on the point of the attack without being subjected to massive amounts of return fire.

I'd say the one exception is the sharpshooter. They don't seem to want to fire unless it's at a target a fair distance off. Usually, the only way to achieve that is by placing them in an upper floor. I believe top hits are modeled in CM, so infantry anti-tank weapons can also benefit by positioning on the upper floor.

I've always wondered if infantry on the upper floor have an advantage in hand-to-hand over enemy infantry on the bottom floor because of their height advantage. Anyone know?

Originally posted by Portero:

I think Monwar might be particularly interested in this because of the current game he has with me. He just chased me out of town, so he should now know what's best with buildings ;)

Uh, but your troops are destroyed by now ;) . Right now I should ask about how many Churchill HE shells can destroy that building that crew and squad is in, if I were concerned about that game. ;)

Let's start another game, this time a scenario. Both blind.