Questions from a noob

1. My aircraft (land, carrier) do not always execute an attack. When moving the mouse around I can move the carrier/air unit to another hex but it will not attack. Why?! (example my d-day failed because none of my aircraft would attack German units in France. The German units were in range and the allied units were obviously in supply)

2. Having problems attaching/detaching units to HQ. I have read the instructions several times but the "attach" choice on the unit when I right mouse click is always grayed out so I can't select it. How do you use this feature?

Thanks

Concerning 1:

Airstrike range depends on the weather:

Airfleets/bombers:

- halved in mud and winter weather

Carrier attacks:

It all depends on from which tile the carrier launches its attack:

- from a clear sea hex it has full range

- from stormy tiles it can not attack

- from a snow or mud tile its range is halved (this happens only if it attacks while standing on a hex near the coast - here the weather from the land nearby applies for the carrier)

Concerning 2:

First you need to right click on your HQ and set the mode "auto-assist" or "manual". Then when your HQ is selected you can choose the units you want to be (not) supported by right-clicking on them and select "detach" / "attach".

For 1, if weather on land is muddy or if it's winter the range of airplanes is reduced. If you don't have 'long range aircraft tech' upgrades on your planes, they will barely be able to cross the channel.

For 2, I think the attaching and detaching can be made only when the units have not moved yet. I'm not sure if attaching will effect on this turn already or only starting from the next turn.

A HUGE HELP to newbies is turn on the Tiles on the second page of the Main Menu... Right click on your units and see their actual Attack Range, spotting range, etc... Write these figures down...

Count them out... It's fairly easy then to know exactly what you're capable of doing

Bad weather is a sneaky thing. It's best not to plan attacks in it.. Best to reinforce, Place, upgrade your units and wait for the wather for The Allies... Since they rely heavily on Naval Air and Land Air

2. Having problems attaching/detaching units to HQ. I have read the instructions several times but the "attach" choice on the unit when I right mouse click is always grayed out so I can't select it. How do you use this feature?
If you attach a unit to a HQ, it achieves nothing. The bonuses don't go into effect until the next turn. By then the game will have switched unit attachments. The unit you attached will not be attached. It's a useless, broken function.

@Agamemnon:

Sorry, wrong - attaching a unit to a HQ means immediate effect and when it changes turn, units are only reatached if you have set your HQs to automatic or they are now out of range because of moving them or the HQ.

To have a HQ or not is quite decissive in battles smile.gif .

@Agamemnon:

Sorry, wrong - attaching a unit to a HQ means immediate effect and when it changes turn, units are only reatached if you have set your HQs to automatic or they are now out of range because of moving them or the HQ.

I didn't know that, I looked at the numbers before and after attaching a unit, and have seen no change. Is it a case of the game not updating the numbers that you see?

As far as automatic being the only way the HQ will change attachments unless it's moved out of range. I have to disagree, I have had units and HQ's that haven't been moved (using them for defense) that the game changes.

Check the readiness of combat units attached / detached. HQ support increases readiness, not morale.

Attachment doesn´t change if your HQs are set to "auto-assist" or "manual". But what can happen is that if you have 2 or more HQs in range and one of them is still set to automatic will steal the unit from your other HQ ;) . HQs on automatic catch the nearest units at the beginning of the turn - so it is important that you set ALL HQs to manual-assist or manual if you don´t want to change the supporting HQ.