Cyprus Invasion mod at CMMods

This scenario covers the three week period from when the Turkish 28th and 39th divisions started invading Cyprus on the morning of 20th July 1974 and when UN troops began establishing a demilitarised zone between the Turks and the CNG on 16th August 1974.

The geography of the island and the troop deployment is as accurate as I could find the data for. I have chosen to base the scale of the conflict on regiment/battalion level. Map scale is about 5 miles per tile.

There has, of course, been some artistic license taken, especially of the 'what if?' variety, so history buffs should watch out for unexpected surprises!

That is the old version. The UN message is posted to go up on the 15th August and the game should end after the turn on 16th August.

In the new version the stalemate result doesn't come up until after the 17th August turn. Also I have replaced the UN message in the newer version as it was not really accurate... UNFICYP had been there since 1964.

Under no circumstances should the game progress beyond these dates. In reality the end of the war was a little 'fuzzy' also, as the ceasefire was voluntary on behalf of the Turks. The sources I have used for research put the war's end somewhere between 16/8 and 20/8. Official historical reports agree with 16/8 as the begining of the second ceasefire but some eye witness reports say that some fighting continued for a few days after this date.

The newer version tests your skills a little more than the first version ;)

EDIT: I have modified the localisation file so the mod should work okay with french/german versions as well now.

[ November 26, 2006, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Moonslayer ]

Wow! Many thanks, Hubert. I, like many people on this forum, have lots of ideas that your superb tool has given me the inspiration to create. The only thing I need to realise them is time. Sadly with work and two very young children this is one commodity that is in short supply.

Fortunately, however, I am also an insomniac ;)

• 4 weeks later...

New update available.

I have added a few scripts to improve the Turkish AI so it should now be possible to play the Cypriot forces against the computer.

Don't expect any genius moves by the computer so, as usual, the maximum settings should be used if you are a competent player.

This is the last update for this mod for the near future as I have bigger fish to fry (read: War of the Worlds).