Thoughts on AI Setup Options

With the game getting closer to release with HC and the Beta Testers working hard on it and AARs soon to come, just a few ideas for the AI setup screen once more. ;)

1. Give the AI a bonus number of Diplomacy chits.

Example: 0 chits, 1 chits, 2 chits, and Random (0, 1, 2 or 3) so you don't know if the AI has a bonus in diplomacy chits or what it is.

For the Axis this bonus would go to the Germans and for the Allies this bonus would go to the UK.

2. Give the AI a bonus number of research chits. For example: 0 chits, 1 chit, 2 chits, and Random (0, 1, 2 or 3).

Though one can vary these items through the editor, its easier to do so through the setup screen at game start. Furthermore, the random bonus makes for a more unpredictable game as you don't know the strengths of the AI.

3. Give the AI a bonus number of units or MPPs.

Example: 0 unit, 1 unit 2 units, and Random (0,1,or 2). The actual units would be selected randomly. This would make the OOB a less predictable.

Example 1 Unit:

Axis - Germany receives bonus rocket unit or bonus sub unit or bonus bomber unit.

Allies - USA receives bonus bomber or USSR receives bonus HQ.

Example 2 Units:

Axis - Germany receives 2 bonus rocket units or 2 bonus sub units or 2 bonus bomber units.

Allies - USA receives 2 bonus bomber units or USSR receives bonus HQ and Bonus Rocket unit or USA receives bonus HQ unit and bonus carrier.

[ January 14, 2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Blashy, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Futhermore, it would be interesting to have an AI level or two higher than Expert - ie Master and Genius.

Example;

Expert: +1 Diplomacy, +1 Tech Chit, Intel Tech Level 1

Genius: +2 Diplomacy Chits, +2 Tech Chits, Intel Tech Level 2

Master: Random Diplomacy Bonus (0 to 3), Random Tech Chit Bonus (0 to 3), Random Intel Level (0 to 3), Random Tech Bonus (+1 level in one randomly selected tech area), Starts with Bonus HQ Unit

The Master AI would simulate, in a simplified fashion, playing against different players (27 different permutations) each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The Game victory points total would be adjusted based on the strengths of each of these players - +10 points for each bonus chit or level or unit. Thus you could end up playing a MASTER AI with +3 bonus in each area (Dip Chits, Tech Chits, Intel Level) = +110 victory point bonus, or a MASTER AI with only the Bonus HQ and Random Tech Level Bonus = +20 Victory points.

[ January 14, 2006, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Futhermore, it would be interesting to have an AI level or two higher than Expert - ie Master and Genius.

Not a bad idea, Edwin P, I will

Mention it in Beta Regions.

Master and Genius might be needed

Since we have a great number

Of VERY skilled players.

Though there is that new! AI scripting

Which will allow much more leeway.

I remember - it was Civ II or 3?

Where you had the toughest level

Called... "God" wasn't it?

I NEVER played that one as I feared

(... should I approach close to victory)

Thunderbolts that would sear

Every spare sparrow in sight,

Not to mention - my own limb & life. :eek:

Desert Dave, thanks for the feedback.

I too am looking forward to seeing what the AI scripting features offer and what features HC incorporates into each AI level.

In SC1 at Expert level the AI would sometimes invade Spain, something that it would not do at beginner level.

In SC2 at Beginner level I can see the AI focusing on only the war in Europe, but at higher levels I would like to see the Axis AI consider more strategies such as conquering the Nordic Countries, invading Spain, making a push for the Middle East or launching a Sea Lion invasion of the UK.

PS: And for that rare treat have the Axis try to influence Turkey to join its side, for a truely different game vs the AI.

[ October 30, 2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I would just like to encourage all the scenario modders/ creators out in the community to remember all this discussion about the A.I. and the eforts many are going to, to create this game. I play 99% of my games solitaire, and find being able to tweak, create or download solitaire scenarios, a fantastic pastime, it breathes variety and shelf-life into a game. Which brings me to my point; I play TOAW, and disappointingly find many fantastic new scenarios unavailable as solo play, I assume this is because of the limitations/age of the program, the complexity of the interface, and the lack of support documentation or tutorials. I hope SC2 will not fall into this trap.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a relatively simple (?)idea for the AI at Hubert level (one step above Genius) -

Axis AI - Spain (33%) or Turkey (33%%) joins the Axis after France surrenders or the USA signs a trade treaty with Japan that reduces American war readiness (34%). This gives an immediate, but unpredictable bonus to the Axis AI side that will affect the Human Allied player strategy.

Allied AI - Norway and Ireland (20%) OR Turkey (20%) joins the Allies OR the USA gains a 20% boost in war readiness (20%) OR the USA gains 2 Carrier Fleets and an McArthur HQ(20%) or the Brits gain reinforcements in Egypt from Australia and India (20%). Thus the Allied AI gains an unpredictable bonus that will force a Human Axis player to change his strategy.

Thus,

20%: If the skilled human Axis player plans a typical invasion of Egypt he might find himself opposed by more than he bargained for when reinforcements from the commonwealth unexpectedly appear.

20%: Likewise during an invasion of Russia the Axis human player may learn that the US has entered the war sooner than expected.

20%: Or with Iceland and Norway under British control the Axis human player finds it harder to interdict merchant shipping to the UK, thus dealing a blow to his naval strategy as the Allied AI reinforces both Norway and Iceland.

20%: Or perhaps he is faced with an unexpectedly strong US Naval Force when the US finally enters the war.

20%: Or perhaps he is shocked by Turkey joining the Allies, thus forcing him to devote forces to secure his southern flank.

In summary, just an idea for making the game less predictable for the human player at the highest AI level. :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------

A2.Axis AI Bonus at Expert Level

% for Spain joining Axis after France surrenders

% for Turkey joining Axis after Russia enters the war

% for Greece and Yugoslavia joining the Axis

% for Germany receiving 3 bonus sub units

% for Vichy France joining Axis

A2.Allied AI Bonus at Expert Level

% chance for Commonwealth reinforcements in Egypt

% chance for USA War Readiness Increase

% chance for Turkey and Iraq joining the Allies

% chance for USA receiving 3 strategic bomber units

% chance for early Siberian Transfer

[ November 27, 2005, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

• 1 month later...

Bounce, as this topic was mentioned by Retributor in another post.

One flaw in the SC1 AI was its predictabilty. The human player knew it would never match his investments in research.

With the addition of diplomacy to the game a similar situation might arise.

One way to address this is to give the AI a randomly selected number of Tech and Diplomacy chits.

This would ensure that the human player did not know whether he was facing an AI especially skilled in diplomacy or research, or some combination of the two.

Example:

Beginner AI

------No Tech or Diplomacy Bonus

Intermediate AI

------No Tech or Diplomacy Bonus

Expert AI

------Random Tech Chit bonus (0 to 3) - Average 1.5, 3+ 25%, Zero 25%

------Random Diplomacy Chit bonus (0 to 3) Average 1.5

Genius AI

------Random Tech Chit bonus (0 to 5) - Average 2.5, 3+ 50%, Zero 16.7%

------Random Diplomacy Chit bonus (0 to 5) - Average 2.5

The AI will need routines to tell it how to invest this bonus.

Personally, I would tend to favor a routine that would have the AI invest any bonus diplomacy chits in a single randomly selected country of strategic importance - Spain, Turkey or Sweden.

Of course, I have not played the game so this diplomacy strategy might be unwise.

[ January 14, 2006, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]