Weapons & Warfare Pack Accoutrements

I just got a FLASH while playing a game!. I thought...Whynot for the Weapons & Warfare Upgrade Pack for example, make some additions to the regular/normal Research-Selection's that we now have!.

Just as for a one and single example out of many examples that i could forward here,...the MAUS-TANK! . It could be researched [if one can make the Fund's available for it], and if and when the Research is successfully concluded, that piece of Equipment would now be available!. Obviously, this MAUS-TANK would not be of any practical use for Panzering across the Steppes of Russia, BUT!...it could be very useful for Home-Defence purposes!,...as well as it would also only be built in very limited quantities,...perhap's only a Maximum of one Unit in the game.

This same idea could be used for Advanced Aircraft, Advanced Shipping & Other Advanced-Technologies!.

I've always liked the idea of breaking down industry and production a little more. Nothing too complicated. However, with the way SC2 is designed that doesn't really fit in too well. We really control most of the war at a high level. We have an Army and we tell it to attack. We put research into Advanced Aircraft and just hope our scientists knows what that means. smile.gif

How this would work well within SC2 is to make these kinds of details optional, rather than necessary.

For example, under Advanced Aircraft there are different paths you can take focusing on either jet or propeller based technology. So you could focus more on the short term benefits of making your ME-109's into FW-190's, or possibly taking a longer and riskier approach by focusing on developing the ME-163 or 262.

Players who wish to fine tune that kind of research could do so, while newer players or those who don't want to mess with those details can simply invest in "Advanced Aircraft" and let the computer do the rest.

Timskorn!... I am personally 'very ready' for " More Details "!. I want to get deeper into the heart of the matter. I too would prefer that 'fetishes' such as mine, would be selectable as "Optional Gameplay"!.

I would also like to invest in 'Underground Factories', such as where the V-2 was 'Mass Produced', and upon successful research & construction of such Facilities, the cost/unit would decrease & available quantity for purchase would increase!.

The same would go with other advanced weaponry, Jet's, Synthetic Fuel Factories, etc.

Haha, true, I would too. You mention exactly what I was thinking too, regarding fuel types, etc. In SWOTL for example, you had control over German industry. Ball bearing, chassis, engine and oil factories. If you wanted to focus on making cheaper and more plentiful Me-109's you could, or mix in some more expensive Me-163's. That also meant having to convert factories over to producing chassis, engine and fuel types for the new jets.

If Allied bombing was hitting your ball bearing plants too much you could send them underground. If they bombed your jet fuel plants into oblivion, your jets sat on the tarmac.

That's getting really detailed for the scope of SC2, but I imagine something abstract could be done in that vein. It may be better suited for a entirely new game, like an SC3 though, where the game could be designed from the ground up with these concepts.

The Civilization games proves that micromanagement isn't necessarily a "turn off". It's all in how its presented, and how automated you allow it to be. Let those who want to just direct WW2 from the Presidents chair do so, but allow those who like to tinker...to tinker.

I did enjoy the way War in Russia use to work in respect to building certain units. It was historical, but I believe you could change the factories to build Tigers, instead of Panzer III's (for example) if you prefered. The civilization games do seem to work well.

The K Man ... yes!, in WAR IN RUSSIA you could 'Retool Factories', however there was a penalty in lost production in the case of your example of pzkpfwgn III's until,...later on when the 'Re-tooling' was complete, then the 'Tiger-I' tank's could then begin production!.

Its funny the things that stick in your head. There was that one exception in WIR for retooling (elephants.) You couldn't retool on those. "because so few were made historically, you can change to another unit, but you won't be able to change back." Haven't played that game in ages. That would have been a great HvH game.