When to invade Vichy France as Axis?

Hi,

I'm interested in opinions on when Germany should invade Vichy France, if ever? Is it viable to leave Vichy independent until the Allies invade it? I haven't ever played far enough to even know what the Vichy defense forces are like? Can they resist an allied invasion of Marseilles?

Thanks for any thoughts.

go into Hotseat and DOW Vichy smile.gif

negative effect is before Spain, you might lose some readiness, and you might increase US readiness before she enters

I'd not bother Vichy till those two bases are covered and you do not get Vichy Algeria like the older versions in your pocket

As Allies, taking Vichy is neither here nor there.. Just make sure you've sufficient units around the rock or the motors from France to plow it through in 1 turn, by the time the USA and UK is in you likely do not care too too much about what the Spaniards will say...

There are two advantages to take Vichy France :

1. It raises the readiness of your troops when you take it. If you capture it in the spring of 1941 while you are fighint Russia, that comes in handy.

I usually take Vichy for this reason. Just like I take Portugal in the spring of 1941 too. And Swiss. And Ireland.

2. THEORETICALLY, after a D-Day, you can defend Italy better when you got Vichy : some entrenched corpse on those mountains and behind the river can slow the Allied down.

I don't have experience with this, the game is always over before any D-Day takes place.

If you have Spain in your pocket no need, and it's unlikely unless the Brits relocate their capitol to N.Africa Alexandria you will need to build Tirpitz there. A bigger prize would be getting Iraq, as it has a Capitol, 1 city, 1 port and Oilfield, plus access to Iran and eventually the USSR...

I'd spend my money on that and leave Vichy till later when she's not a diplomatic nightmare...