Just started my first game.

There are so many nice ideas in this game, wow.

But on the other hand some really anoying "features" survived the trip from sc1 to sc2.

First and most disgusting "feature": bombardemnt fro ships.

WHERE in WW2 ETO have you ever seen such strong BB / CA killing and hunting

During the D-Day: Basil H. Liddle Hart reports some interesting deposition of German generals about the terrible effects of naval shores on the German defenders during the D-Day. But, on the other hand, we can say it was like an isolated case.

This has come up in another thread. D-day bombardment was against fixed defenses or against defenders near the coast or Germans attacking towards it. The situation I dislike is in the Fall of France where it is really dangerous for the Germans to occupy coastal hexes even though the range of Naval gunfire is not sufficient to hit most of the hex on this scale. You can significantly damage a lead armour this way. Its still too powerful in SC2.

Its a great game - but this feature leads to strange tactics.

Just stay away from the coasts, I can go a whole game with Allies not able to bomb troops except on cities, which I don't mind since it cost them more, hehe.

The only place my troops ever get bombed is in the black sea by the 2 cruisers and that is just on a few occasions.

Colin I, as before:

Its still too powerful in SC2.

RE: shore bombardment.

Soft, Tank, Air & bomber Attack

By BB's and CA's = 1.

All above have naval defense = 0.

Several things you could do:

1) Take CA's out of the equation. Change their attack values = 0. Leaving only BB's with the bigger, longer ranged guns.

2) Make all your units (... including Air & Bombers) = 1 for naval defense.

**Then you got 1:1 attack ratio, causing some possible damage to the bombarding ships... could be imagined as shore batteries or mines or DD's with torpedos... whatever you like. ;)

3) WHEN there are navies lurking, don't place valuable units such as armor on/near shore line. Use Corps instead?

Sure, that tile is 50 miles but we may just as well assume the unit is close enough to target, rather than too far away.

In large scale, how could we do otherwise?

Or, at last, some other interesting combination, well, it's good you CAN make some changes to suit your style or inclination, eh? :cool:

Should you want it in "default game" you'd have to prepare and provide some VERY convincing arguments, else I doubt it would be changed, but, since many things remain dynamic in the mind of the Creator... who knows? smile.gif