I am new to SC WaW and so far really loving it. I don't have much strategy game experience so forgive my basic questions. Anyway, in playing as the Axis in the full campaign and have a quesiton about supply rating for troops on distant shores. For instance, I have Italian troops in axis controlled locations in North Africa. The friendly ports have an efficiency rating of 50% which limits the supply value of the nearby troops and thus their morale and readiness. I have transported a HQ unit there and that helped some. Is there any way to improve the supply rating other than that? Is there any way to improve the efficiency of the ports?

If not, are you doomed to underperforming units?

Also, I invaded England via amphibous transport and soon found myself low on supply. How do you increase supply in that situation?

Thanks in advance.

if the supply location can trace a path back to the capital (a clear path thru friendly tiles), the resource strength will go up to a max of 10. Otherwise it will stay at a max of 5 (exception is Russia where the conquered resources will have a max of 5 regardless of connection to Berlin , for example).

When you invade via amphib, either land a HQ (in absence of a friendly resource nearby it will provide a bit of supply) but better try to capture a city or a port. Ports act as a supply source in sc2 so if you get at least a port, place a HQ nearby and your supply problems are fixed smile.gif

Thanks for the info.

Does the clear path to a capital work across the ocean? It only applies to land, right?

As to ports,isn't the supply of adjacent units limited by the efficiency rating of the port?

Again, in North Africa it seems you will always have a low supply rating if you are adjacent to a port with a low efficiency rating.

Can anything be done to improve port efficiency?

@ Dmbgamer:

Yes, you need a land link to have higher efficiency rating than 50%. In case of North Africa this makes sure that the game reflects the very difficult supply situation which was given in reality. So to make North Africa fully producing for the Axis, you need to get Turkey on your side or conquer the Caucasus and the Middle East... but if you manage that, the game is almost won.

And for the port: yes, the efficiency rating of the ports limits the supply rating of adjacent units. This is why strategic bombing is so dangerous in North Africa... and it`s always necessary to have a HQ down there, otherwise the units don`t work properly. This is why it doesn`t make sense to start an offensive with the italian forces at the beginning.

Originally posted by Hyazinth von Strachwitz:

@ Dmbgamer:

Yes, you need a land link to have higher efficiency rating than 50%. In case of North Africa this makes sure that the game reflects the very difficult supply situation which was given in reality. So to make North Africa fully producing for the Axis, you need to get Turkey on your side or conquer the Caucasus and the Middle East... but if you manage that, the game is almost won.

You're right that if you take Turkey, the Caucasus and the Middle East then you've almost certainly won, but it's a rail connection to the capital that gives resources a max value of 10, not just having a land connection, and this isn't the case for north Africa as the rail connection via Turkey stops just west of El Alamein.

Something to bear in mind when you're plotting your opponents downfall...