Maximum RAM for W98se?

I'm running CMBB without no problems and my system never crashes, but I would like it to be a bit faster. My guess is that a faster processor is the best solution, but here my two questions?

1) Is more RAM going to make any differens?

2) I have tried to put in another 512 but the system just keep restarting. Is it possible to have 1024 under W98se at all?

I'm planning to clear the HD an install the additional RAM and then do a new install of everything, but that's something I want to avoid if it's possible. Any suggestions?

My system:

Motherboard ASUS P4S8X

Grafic ASUS Ti4600

Sound Audigy2

CPU P4 2533

RAM DIMM 512

OS W98SE

Syncmaster 161T res. 1260x1024

Greatful for any sugesstions!

Kind regards/

I doubt that adding more than 512Mb in Windows 98SE will make much, if any, performance difference for CM or other applications (with the exception of image editor programs working with very large files).

Here's a Microsoft Knowledgebase article about the problem. Generally you need to modify the system.ini file in the Windows directory with some added settings (this MS Knowledgebase article that is linked from the first one mentions the setting directly). These changes will basically limit Windows' ability to address RAM for caching purposes (called 'vcache' in MS terminology) and in turn it probably limits the actual use of any RAM above 512Mb (or 800Mb depending on the setting used ?) by any program using Windows' memory management (which is almost all programs). Thus any RAM installed over 512Mb actually isn't used by programs under Win98SE (the exception may be Adobe Photoshop and other programs that have their own memory management). This Extreme Tech posting has an opinion from one user that benchmarking showed a slight decrease in speed when over 192Mb of RAM is installed in a Win98SE system.

[ May 10, 2004, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]