Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Expansion Pack License Query

With SC2 we are provided with two licenses which allows us to place the game on two machines. From what I can see, the expansion pack will be giving the game a major overhaul which will affect gameplay and modding. Now I was thinking that in order to continue to play the older mods and the original, I will need to keep the original game as is.

So, does the expansion pack overwrite the existing SC2 folders, thus losing the original game design in the process, or are the files shared which would allow you to play either the original or expanded version from the same install? Ideally, I would not like to lose one of my original licences to the expansion pack if possible...

I'm pretty sure you won't touch the old one anymore after playing with the new features ;)

And the old mods can always be converted to the new game.

I guess that's what most modders will start doing as soon as it's out.

Well that doesnt really answer the question. Can you keep the old game and additionally add the expansion?

I like A3R way too much too lose it potentially forever if the author doesnt redo it.

If you cannot keep both I will wait until A3R is redone before I buy the new expansion. I hate waiting but what I have I like what I may get I do not know if I will like or not.

The expansion is simply an add-on to the original game and will not affect how the original game plays once installed. But of course you will only be able to play the new and updated Expansion campaigns with the Expansion EXEs and the older campaigns with the original SC2 Blitzkrieg EXEs.

As for the A3R mod I heard a rumour that it is being re-developed with the new Expansion in mind... but of course this cannot be confirmed or denied ;)