Is this also a known AI problem ?

In my second game against the Axis AI, he did this...

When I was near Berlin, he moved like 5-6 troops there. Good.

We fought a bit back and forth, slowly making progress, but it would have taken another 4-5 turns before I could take it.

Then, all of a sudden, he moves ALL his troops there away, except a HQ in Berlin itself. I mean ALL of the units around it ! He moved them into Romania, where I was near the capital too.

Needless to say, the next turn I marched into Berlin and Germany surrendered (I already took Munich).

What's up with this ???

Originally posted by TaoJah:

In my second game against the Axis AI, he did this...

When I was near Berlin, he moved like 5-6 troops there. Good.

We fought a bit back and forth, slowly making progress, but it would have taken another 4-5 turns before I could take it.

Then, all of a sudden, he moves ALL his troops there away, except a HQ in Berlin itself. I mean ALL of the units around it ! He moved them into Romania, where I was near the capital too.

Needless to say, the next turn I marched into Berlin and Germany surrendered (I already took Munich).

What's up with this ???

I've experienced the same thing. When I came within two hexes (I just can't write the "other word") of Berlin; he operated a lot of units to the city. However all those were operated away the next turn when I came adjacent to the capital of Rumania.

Slightly wrong priorities...

/Kristian

Originally posted by K Jonsson:

I've experienced the same thing. When I came within two hexes (I just can't write the "other word") of Berlin; he operated a lot of units to the city. However all those were operated away the next turn when I came adjacent to the capital of Rumania.

Slightly wrong priorities...

/Kristian

"Slightly" is the uderstatement of the year :)

Anyway, I know what to do now to make it intresting : take Rumania first !

Which, by the way, is totally impossible in bad weather : you just can't move your untis there.

I've been working on the Allied scripts so can't say exactly why they're doing that, but from my experience with the Russian scripts, it probably stems from two Garrison scripts overlapping each other. In Russia, for example, the scripts are set up so cities are garrisoned when enemy units get close and ungarrisoned when there are no longer there. What happens is a 'ping pong' effect, where the AI probably gets a script saying 'Romania Threatened" and tries to op-move units there to protect it, but then gets a script saying "Berlin Threatened" and op-moves them back. Just a guess, but it can definitely be addressed (or at least alleviated) by changing the scripts.

Just a general rehash of past discussions updated now that SC2 is released. First let me say I think the game is great and would tell all to buy. I'm glad I took the leap of faith on the pre-order.

Secon however, as far as AI, once again big dissappointment. You'd think I would know by now that virtually no one makes a decent AI on a "classic" wargame. Who would think that just setting up a basic reasonable defense or attack would be so difficult. Such is life. Some day maybe.

It'll happen. The scripting system is robust and will allow for some pretty tough AI. It'll never compete with a human of course, but for most casual players it's reasonable to expect an AI in the near future that will keep them on their toes and deal them a loss once in awhile (without the need to make the AI cheat, although that's always a possibility like simply giving them more starting units and MPP's).

Yogi, war-game player, being philosophical:

Who would think that just setting up a basic reasonable defense or attack would be so difficult. Such is life. Some day maybe.

The future ain't what it used to be.

--Yogi, hey-day Yankee ball player

You live long enough,

You come to realize that "some days"

Just... never, ever come.

The day you finally discover where!

The rainbow - touches the earth.

Find the very thing you thought you'd

Always wanted.

Until, realization sets in... Gold,

And more! gold, well, what worth

That? Spent or lent or quite highly stacked,

In the end?

The day you locate the "fountain of youth."

But, come to fully understand

That age brings interesting perspective,

And best, some time to reckon it right, by

Offering, freely, what you've learned.

The day the beautiful Movie Starlet fawns over

You and won't leave you in a redeeming peace.

You'd of sworn on all that's damned, or holy,

THAT would not - EVER have occurred.

The day

In fear & trembling,

You open a wildnerness gate

And discover you're in... Garden of Eden,

But alas... is that a faint tracing

Of footsteps you at first see,

Then... hear?

Well,

In this case - a little more patience

WILL make the Future

What it... used to be. ;)

No, nix,

We should really reconsider.

In regard to an improved,

And continually improving AI,

It will be better than... what it was!

Given the dedication, and, elan,

Of the original designer, and now

Some others also studying, working it. :cool:

Doesn't mean - ever elusive - perfect.

Merely means... you'll need bring

Yer "hey-day" A-game, and

Play it with... plain old FUN, where

Winning is happily accidental.

Later, much later, say,

You are sipping lemonade

On the singing porch-swing

You had built yerself from hard woods,

Way back when, it was... yet together

With the very one who's stuck

By you - through ALL these good

And bad and joy-full years, yeah

You can look back, decide - what? exactly,

Was it?

... is it?

I have... won? smile.gif

Originally posted by Timskorn:

It'll happen. The scripting system is robust and will allow for some pretty tough AI.

Is there a way to "prioritise" scripts ?

Saying something like "if the conditions of this script is met, then it get's priority number 1" and another one gets priority number 2 ?

I understand he defends any capital, but the defence of Berlin should get priority over the defense of Boedapest.