Like SC, all of the bitmaps in SC2 can be modded.

Resource values can also be changed in the editor, but these are generic for the entire game and not country specific.

Cities can also be designated as Industrial Centers, which allow them to function like capitals in that units can trace supply to them and new units can be built in a tile that can trace a path to an IC. Stalingrad, for example, if it's cut off from Moscow.

The way the 2-D isomorphic grid is configured, you're still looking at square tiles at an angle. One can always edit all those bitmap images for tile sprites, unit sprites, etc. to make it appear to be top down, but you're still looking at the map at an angle.

That said, there's no reason a 2-D mod pack with different bitmaps couldn't be developed. The same graphics from SC could be reused, or whatever. Players could then upgrade their game with the mod. Would you need a toggle to go back and forth? I doubt it.

FWIW, recent playtesting has been good. I too have a deep-seated and ingrained preference for hexes and top-down unit counters but I'm finding SC2 to be fine. I had similar qualms about SC when it first came out and managed to get over it. Ditto with SC2. I'm finding the unit facing changes, highlighted movement paths and other bells and whistles to be perfectly acceptable. There is just so much more to this game to focus on than a few minor graphics issues.

So Bill, I know you, perhaps, don't have authorization to comment, but are all the mechanics of the game in place so that you can conduct movement and combat on land, air and sea?

If you can elaborate.......? What tech features are currently being tested during play with the current movement and combat?

If not.....understandable. ;)

Most of the mechanics are in place and working OK. Enough that we can get into some PBEM games and see how things play out with FOW against an opponent. There are still a few features yet to be implemented so we're not into true beta testing quite yet. I'll leave further elaboration for Hubert. smile.gif

Okay, one other question. Is it possible, in light of the operational scale scenarios in SC2, to import a core force from a preceding scenario to the next scenario in a linked campaign?

I'm talking only about the force pool, not any other features. I realize I could create the identical ending force in the new scenario, but I would like to have some randomness, dependent on the players' efficiency of handling his core force in the preceding scenario, ala Panzer General.

Failing in that, how about a factor generated by the strength of the ending core force to use as a multiplier for MPP initial generation in the subsequent scenario?