Is it just me, or are rockets useless? Does anyone out there actually sink the research into them to make them useful?

In my opinion, they are too weak, slow, and require too many advances to be useful. The first thing I do each game, is reclaim my rocket research! I also sell back the Siberians the turn they arrive.

I would offer this fix:

Turn rockets into artillery and give them a starting range of 2 that never changes. Research advances would increase their attack abilities. Artillery was very important in WWII, and would be alot of fun.

I remember Panzer General, the best wargame for the PC ever, and artillery was a big part of that game!

Would there be anything wrong with avoiding the whole artillery issue (technically included in armies and corps at this scale) and just increasing the starting range for rockets to 2?

I've never used them, so maybe I've not thought of an obvious balance problem with that.

David, it comes down to a question of time. If you hvae the skill to last in a long game then rockets can be very usefull... IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND TIME. If your fighting for your life from the very start then no, rockets are a waste as you MMPs could be better used else where. There is a side issue here. Since both german AND russia now what very limited tech (750 each) you really need to wounder if its worth it to put chits in anything but the most desired tech.

Iron Ranger, agreed the lower limits on German and Russia tech levels limit the options for tech investing.

Ideas:

a. Have any chits purchased above the limit cost 100% more - i.e. 250 instead of 125 MPPs.

b. Allow a player to purchase a Research Unit for 200MPP (example: Aleksei Sudaev for USSR) . The presence of such a unit increases your Reseach Limit by 200MPP ( for 1 major tech & 1 minor tech or 2 intemediate techs) and effectively doubles the cost of your research for investments above your limit. Of course, if this unit is destroyed your research limit drops and you lose randomly selected chits until you are at or under your limit.