Prince Eugen in the Med?!

Well I care because I had killed the italian navy and was merrily moving my convoys along to egypt when I was surprised by Bismarck and Eugen in the med! Not exactly expected.

Looks like can deploy in captured ports. Seems pretty odd since can't forexample do that with ground troops can you? Also very unrealistic in that the keels would have been laid years before in germany. I support they transported them on train to greece ? ;)

Yes, this is a highly anomalous situation -- especially if playing with the more historical delayed builds. (Construction on the Tirpitz began in 1936!!!) Having the Tirpitz appear in a French Atlantic port one turn after that port is captured is bad enough, but appearing in the Med defies all logic. (I suppose you could argue the incomplete ship was towed to a French port before becoming operational, but even that seems highly improbable.)

The easiest thing to do is a house rule (e.g., all German surface ships have to start the game in/adjacent to a German port or the port has to be controlled for a period of time equal to the construction period), but I would think that some sort of coding solution would be possible.

Perhaps German surface ships could be coded to only appear in certain locations (e.g., not unlike the way the Canadian and Icelandic ASW bombers have to be built in certain locations). But an even better solution would allow/require a player building a naval vessel to designate the port where that unit will appear. Designated ports would have to be under/remain under friendly control and if control was lost, so would the build.

One question. Should these restrictions (e.g., if playing with a house rule) apply to German submarines? In other words, were U-boats constructed in the French Atlantic ports or only based/repaired/resupplied from those locations? I checked a couple of sources which suggested all construction was done in German ports/home waters (i.e., the Baltic), but the sources were not very definitive.