SB Live! ...not so live

Recently my right channel seems to be going in and out. It seem about 75% softer sounding than the left channel. Just noticed it while running CMBB, but have no reason to suspect the sounds in CMBB are to blame.

Short of replacing the speakers and if the problem continues replacing the sound card is ther any other way to figure the problem out? Since the speaker onnections are hard wired together left vs. right I cannot easily flip them around.

any suggestions?

Is your audio connector fully seated into the sound card ? If you play a CD do you have the same problem ? You may want to gently remove and reinsert the audio connector while a CD is playing to determine if there is a problem with either your stereo audio output jack or the speaker cable connector.

You'll of course want to check any hardware or software (as mentioned above) audio balance controls too.

[ September 30, 2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I occasionally get this problem with my SB Live card even though the speakers are fully plugged into the card. Simply removing the speaker connect from the card, wiping the connector off on my shirt, and re-inserting it usually does the trick. Basically something isn't correctly making contact in there. Simply jiggling the connector may do the trick too, but I usually just wipe it off cuz of possible dust.

Try playing sounds and moving the connector in and out while you do it. If the sounds comes in and out as you describe, then you have a finicky connection.

I should note that sometimes the problem is with the speakers and where they plug into the sub-woofer, if applicable. Basically, try all of your connections. smile.gif

Good luck,

BeWary

Thanks all.

It's very odd. When the intro music to CMBB plays it comes on full stereo, suround sound with sub-woofer kicks and all. If I play any CD's everything is normal. Inside the game though I am getting right channel only. All other functionality is fine, until I load CMBB and play a game.